Desktop Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I work in R&D for Central Aquatics (Aqueon, Coralife, etc...) so I know a bit about building tanks. But I don't build them myself. We have highly skilled production workers that I have do that. I just help design them.

Without a jig (the tank frame) to build the tank the floating bottom is probably easier. With a jig, the traditional bottom is much easier.

For that depth tank 1/8" is fine. However most rimless aquariums will use beveled and polished edge glass for a cleaner and smoother look. You should ask your glass supplier if they can do that. They might be able to but you can bet the price is going to shoot up. It does really make the tank look better.

Andy

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
I work in R&D for Central Aquatics (Aqueon, Coralife, etc...) so I know a bit about building tanks. But I don't build them myself. We have highly skilled production workers that I have do that. I just help design them.
That's awesome. Are you guys in the US?

Without a jig (the tank frame) to build the tank the floating bottom is probably easier. With a jig, the traditional bottom is much easier.

For that depth tank 1/8" is fine. However most rimless aquariums will use beveled and polished edge glass for a cleaner and smoother look. You should ask your glass supplier if they can do that. They might be able to but you can bet the price is going to shoot up. It does really make the tank look better.

Andy
I've been thinking about a polish or bevel. I don't know how that would work though. I wouldn't want to have all the edges finished just the top, right?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Looks good. What are the demensions

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Very Nice! I love DIY, glad you went that route. Glass is so expensive by me for some reason! For 4.5 sqft of 1/8" glass the best price I found was $34 and an extra $20 to get to edges polished. $54 for sliding glass tops, not worth it! :) I also have some old metaframe tanks rotting in my basement because I need glass replacements.

Anyway! Did you decide on a planting method?

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
Very Nice! I love DIY, glad you went that route. Glass is so expensive by me for some reason! For 4.5 sqft of 1/8" glass the best price I found was $34 and an extra $20 to get to edges polished. $54 for sliding glass tops, not worth it! :) I also have some old metaframe tanks rotting in my basement because I need glass replacements.
Woah.. Where are you that glass is so expensive?

I ended up going no polish on the edges. I like the super glossy look of seamed vs the polish.

I picked up all 5 pieces I needed plus one extra for a lid for $25 after tax. I had the silicone.. But let's say that it costs $4.. And $1 for all the painters tape I used? $30.. So far so good.

Now I need to test it, and get a mat for it... Then I can start looking at heaters, filters, lights.

Anyway! Did you decide on a planting method?
Planting method?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Looks great

Now I need to test it, and get a mat for it... Then I can start looking at heaters, filters, lights.
Part of me was expecting you to DIY the light :)

I look forward to seeing what you do with the tank, I'm about to set up a 14" cube as a SW tank but expect it won't be much time before I want to set up 1 (or more) FW cubes.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
Looks great

Part of me was expecting you to DIY the light :)

I look forward to seeing what you do with the tank, I'm about to set up a 14" cube as a SW tank but expect it won't be much time before I want to set up 1 (or more) FW cubes.
I might still DIY the light, but with this being such a tiny lil' tank I think it will be fine with just a nice desk lamp. I'd love to get into salt, but I'd hate to get into salt.. I'm just getting back into fish keeping after a four year hiatus, and I think I've surprised my boyfriend by my swift descent into MTS madness.

Psssst. Central NJ is what her profile says, 2 lines below her name.
:grinyes:
pssst. It doesn't show that on the app. :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store