Discoloration on Lethargic Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pbillingsley15

Registered Member
Jul 9, 2021
Does anyone know what this orangey discoloration on my betta is? He’s usually black and blue, this isn’t normal for him. First noticed a spot this morning and it has spread considerably. New to the hobby and just want my dude to be okay, ready and willing to learn.

6 days ago, filter got clogged. (Probably on me for not doing enough water changes, I did two 25% changes over the course of a month. Lesson learned.) Changed filter cartridge but not the insert, vacuumed substrate and did a 90% water change. Waited a day to put betta back in, and he’s been resting on the bottom of the tank more often than usual and I noticed at one point today that he was resting against the filter intake with part of his fins getting sucked in. While he’s resting more, he’s still very active when he does get up and moving, making bubble nests and swimming around the tank. No appetite change and no fin clamping. Did another 25% water change tonight, and I always use a water conditioner.

- 20 gallon tank
- API 5-in-1 Water Testing results: GH=30mg/L, KH=180mg/L, ph=6.5, nitrite=0.5mg/L, nitrate=0-20mg/L. API Ammonia Test Kit: 0ppm
- Freshwater tank, setup for about a month
- 1 half moon betta fish and 2 cory catfish. I’ve had the betta six months and the cory cats for a month.
- Tank has a heater and stays between 78-80°F
- No live plants
- Not sure what the filter specs are, the equipment was handed down to me

Thanks for any advice!581380AF-F6CB-455A-AE99-6C9BBDBFB19E.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Any nitrite is bad for fish (see brown blood disease). A small amount of table salt will help with that (iodized is ok). I'm not sure of the dosage but start with a teaspoon dissolved in tank water. You also might want to lower the water level so there is some splash & a bit more oxygen in the water. The salt will gradually be removed with water changes.

Next time, rather than throwing out the filter media you should rinse & squeeze the heck out of it in some old tank water during a water change. It should last a few months or more. 1 betta shouldn't be clogging it up much...you may be overfeeding, at least a bit. It's hard to resist a begging fish but 2 or 3 bites is enough...once or maybe twice/day. Bettas tend to overeat given the chance.

I'm also wondering why you have so many surface bubbles...I'm pretty sure your betta isn't blowing that many & it's often from too much nitrate in the water...but your test doesn't show that...

Pretty boy! Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store