Does Keeping fish have any health benefits?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I count water changes as a work out. If I use a 50ft Python just emptying it & winding it up is work. I sometimes use 2 gal. size jugs to refill so that is an upper body fitness work out. Reps depending on tank size & water volume. Lugging buckets & emptying them also counts but I often "let" my husband get that exercise.

My very first dentist as a kid had a fish tank. Calming & interesting, it made waiting better.

wasme

AC Members
Mar 21, 2023
North East UK
Sat watching fish is very relaxing...at least it has been for me over the years. Water changes do tend to be good exercise though (no python, just a jug & bucket) and they can be fun too, especially when the fish decide that swimming in and out of the jug is playtime (to them) and frustrating (to me).

Fish watching is often better than TV watching too

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK, Jake I'm feeling sympathetic but, umm, trying for angel fighting terror vibes...I'm not quite there, lol. Maybe I'm just more hardened? I think they might be less...over the years? Maybe you angels are just, whee , more agressive? All males?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Fish are my exercise. All year round I have 20 tanks in 2 buildings and 4 rooms. In the main house with 3 rooms with tanks I have to stow all my gear every week because we have a nice woman who comes and cleans up after 6wo old bachelor brothers. Most summers i open a 5th room with summer tanks which go up and come down and need to have cycled filters put into them. I use a pimp on a 30 foot hose to empty the tanks an 100 ft. hose from the opposite end of the house to refill them. I pump a lot of water but I also use a lot of 2.5 and 5 gal. buckets.

If this house had a basement I would have had a magnificent fish room with many more taks. Plus I wish I not had waited until I was over 50 to get my first tank.

So many tanks, so little time. Since you can't get more time, you may as well get more tanks.......

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
OK, Jake I'm feeling sympathetic but, umm, trying for angel fighting terror vibes...I'm not quite there, lol. Maybe I'm just more hardened? I think they might be less...over the years? Maybe you angels are just, whee , more agressive? All males?
It is always the females who are dangerous; a group of males will bicker now and then but you know it is just a bit of bickering; females on the other hand they are killers; murderers and relentless once they decide someone needs to leave.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Hmm, Jake. I've had both the mellowest of female angels &, like you said, the most "dangerous". I had a female "pair" that were very calm & laid eggs together every 2 weeks (wonderful snacks!). We introduced a young male & he was tolerated until egg laying time when he was gently, but firmly pushed away. That poor male flirted & wiggled as best he could but the old girls were immune to his charms.

I also had a group of 6 angels gifted to me. I thought I could tell genders, but no, the bossiest, most aggressive turned out to be female. She was a terror! So I understand what you said, but the other females & males in that group were comparative wimps. I'm not sure how they ever got to breeding with Ms Crabby the charging angel but they did. I guess you never know sometimes...Ms Crabby did work hard defending her territory...so maybe she had a work out too?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'll buy that.

There may have been times my tanks have provided health and wellness benefits for my bride and children, by keeping me from loosing my sh...

wasme

AC Members
Mar 21, 2023
North East UK
I can sit and stare at my fish for hours......quite surprised they have not got a complex about it tbh ;)

A few years ago I had an aquarium in the bedroom and the gentle noise from the filter used to send me off to sleep at night......that was until I introduced some Bronze Corydora to the aquarium. That was not a good idea for an aquarium in the bedroom. The little blighters would have their sessions of aquabatics in the filter outflow which inevitably turned into a breeding brawl.....they are not peaceful or quiet at night and when into the "getting jiggy with it" mood, everything goes flying within the aquarium. It got so bad that one night I was awoken by a tapping noise from the aquarium......the Cories were doing their usual zoomies and in the corner was my Bristlenose, head firmly stuck inside an ornament...he was making the ornament tap the glass "HELP!! GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!". Spent the next few hours gently coaxing the Bristlenose out of its predicament, he was unharmed just a bit ruffled. The following day I moved the aquarium into the hallway and slept very well from then onwards....and the Bristlenose went into one of my other aquariums....one without boisterous Cory hooligans.

No more bedroom aquariums now...smaller flat, only room for the two aquariums that I have now and they are on their own at night and I get to sleep very well :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store