Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb male guppie

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by noicegarry, Jan 7, 2017.

1. noicegarry

noicegarry AC Members

Jan 12, 2017
    Basically I got a tank a few weeks ago and waited till only a few days ago to put the fish in. I have 3 Platy fish, 2 guppies, 2 angel fish. My problem is that the male guppie pays almost no attention to the female guppie whatso ever. He occasionally chases the Platys, and even when he's not he's at least around them. I want the guppies to mate and was wondering if there is a reason as to why the guppie will not interact with the female. I have had a few theories one of them being that the female is already pregnant but I am not sure. It has a gravid spot and a slightly large stomach compared to the rest of her Body but I'm really not sure. Another is that the guppie is not old enough yet or that they are still getting used to the tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated

My tank is a 50litres (15 or so gallons)

2. Tifftastic

Tifftastic "With your powers combined . . ."

Tiff
    Yesterday at 7:00 PM
    Tiff
    So, as far as live bearers go its best to have your females outnumber your males. Two females per male being the minimum. If you want them to spawn this should be your minimum ratio. Also, after only a few days your fish are likely still too stressed to spawn anyway and are figuring out territories and assessing tank mates. Also, since you didn't say anything about cycling, you may need to wait until your water quality is good enough for them to spawn as well.

Additionally, as soon as that female guppy has her babies the angels will eat them. The platies likely will too, depending on their current size.

Lastly, a 15 gallon tank is not big enough for the angel fish. I would highly suggest returning them if you can, finding them a new home or upgrading your tank size if you can't.

fishorama likes this.
  3. noicegarry

noicegarry AC Members

Jan 12, 2017
    I plan on upgrading once the angels get bigger seeing as I got them fairly small I have a decent amount of time, and I have read that with hiding spaces there is a chance of fry surviving?

4. Tifftastic

Tifftastic "With your powers combined . . ."

Tiff
    Yesterday at 7:00 PM
    Tiff
    You'll have a few survive, but not many. Which is good because you'll have (with one female) about 10-15 babies every month or so. You'll have a lot less time than you think with the angels. Just a few months is really all you'll have before they're too big for the tank.

5. noicegarry

noicegarry AC Members

Jan 12, 2017
    I'll most likely be giving most of the fry away to either anyone who wants them or to my local pet shop. I might keep 1 or 2 depending on how's the fish in the tank is doing. and a few months is good enough time for me to be able to get the funds to upgrade to a larger tank

6. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh AC Members

Joel
    Yesterday at 9:53 AM
    Joel
    Welcome!
    Water parameter issues could also be effecting the guppy's behavior. I'm assuming there's no nitrogen cycle established in this tank, and that's a lot of fish assuming that's the situation.

Do you have a means to measure for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in PPM? Doing large water changes often?

fishorama likes this.
  7. Silverfish97

Silverfish97 AC Members

Feb 12, 2017
    Once your angelfish have grown your guppies will be in danger. They might be viewed as colorful snacks. When you upgrade, the guppies and angels should be separated.

8. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh AC Members

Joel
    Yesterday at 9:53 AM
    Joel
    ^^ Could be, but it totally depends on the angel fish. One of mine won't even bother eating the tiny shrimp in the tank with him/her. Another one I have will eat any/all shrimp.

9. noicegarry

noicegarry AC Members

Jan 12, 2017
    Before I put the tank in I let it sit with water and filter running for about a week and a half without any fish in it, and I plan on buying a master test kit to see for those those things

10. noicegarry

noicegarry AC Members

Jan 12, 2017
    My angel fish aren't very aggressive and at the size they are currently at I don't see any way of them being able to even be close to fitting a one of the guppies in their mouth, they usually just leave all the other fish alone