Dumb male guppie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Angel fish get saucer sized as adults when kept properly.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Angel fish get saucer sized as adults when kept properly.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Before I put the tank in I let it sit with water and filter running for about a week and a half without any fish in it, and I plan on buying a master test kit to see for those those things
Unfortunately, this is one of those bad info things that continues to get passed around. This does nothing to cycle the tank unless you were adding a source of ammonia to the tank (rotting food, straight ammonia) there will be no more beneficial bacteria in the tank than there were the day you added the water.

I would strongly suggest getting a test kit as soon as possible. Additionally, the water change schedule you suggested in your other thread will likely not be adequate. With a tank that small stocked in that way, you'll more than likely need to do water changes weekly and they'll be more than 25%. Right now you have no beneficial bacteria and a lot of fish, you'll be needung to daily changes to keep them alive and healthy.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You're getting some very good advice. Your tank is not cycled, you have a fairly large bioload of fish (some that can or should out grow your tank in a month or 2). AND you can't even test daily. We've almost all been there but that's the point of forums like AC...you don't need to make the same mistakes we did 30 years ago. You should expect to do almost daily water changes to keep your fish safe. The damage will not be fast...but it will (is) happening now. Good luck! & hard work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store