Elephant nose intelligence

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ronne

IAMCANADIAN
Nov 27, 2002
48.25'00"N, 123.22'00"S
Visit site
When it comes to animals/fish being smart or intelligent, it comes down to the species' "learned" instincts. An individuals insticts are programmed thru the animals ancestors. Certainly animals and fish are capable of learning, but the majority of its behavior is purely instictive, even in the case of those bred in captivity over generations. A fish that learns something that is beneficial to its well-being will pass that information on to its offspring, therefore making it somewhat instictive in successive generations.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by Ronne
A fish that learns something that is beneficial to its well-being will pass that information on to its offspring, therefore making it somewhat instictive in successive generations.
actually alot of animals dont have any communication skills at all, and can not pass information down from generation to generation or their peers. I know alot of birds and reptiles are like this, i can only imagine it applies to alot of fish species also.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Originally posted by slipknottin
is that creative? or is that learning? Does it repeat the behavior and learn from it? or is a "chance" happening.

There are numerous sites that back up the claims on the one i just gave.

http://www.urbanlegends.com/science/10_percent_of_brain.html
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm
http://vilenski.org/science/humanbody/hb_html/nervoussys.html
You used a "urban legends" and "snopes" as a site....try a scientific site please..Im loomking also

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Somewhere over on yon shelf there is a book with an interesting bit on wolves, dogs, problem-solving and brain sizes in wild vs. domesticates. It'll have to wait for another day. I found Mind of the Raven first, which has a Chapter 27 Brains and Brain Volume.

Just some highlights:

"…in general, brain size increases proportionately to body mass. If brain size is greater than what would be predicted by body size alone, that is called the 'residual factor', and is a measure of the brains 'encephalization'. Humans are some of the most encephalized animals in the world, second only to some species of dolphins [ravens are the most encephalized bird]…

We intuitively infer that intelligence is correlated to brain size, and this inference is generally supported by a variety of criteria. It is also true, however, that we can't credibly claim that one species is more intelligent than another unless we specify intelligent with respect to what, since each animal lives in a different world of its own sensory inputs and decoding mechanisms of those inputs

Brain tissue is metabolically as active and hence as expensiveas muscle, and it is active day and night. Our brain accounts for only about 1.5 percent of our body weight, but it demands about 20 percent of our energy supply".

On a quick logic check:
Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh

you forget to mention that ELEPHANT noses uses more of that brain because of the function of the electrical organ. They need ALOt more o2 to the brain so they can use it more (as said in the scientific article).
[/B]
doesn't that mean that they're not using it for thinking?

As far as that vastly more intelligent than our predecessors bit, Neanderthals had a larger brain case than we do, absolutely and relatively. Quite a bit larger.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh

You used a "urban legends" and "snopes" as a site....try a scientific site please..Im loomking also
did you read the links? they both use actual data from other studies and papers. :rolleyes:

Ronne

IAMCANADIAN
Nov 27, 2002
48.25'00"N, 123.22'00"S
Visit site
actually alot of animals dont have any communication skills at all, and can not pass information down from generation to generation or their peers. I know alot of birds and reptiles are like this, i can only imagine it applies to alot of fish species also.
I am interested to hear what animals don't have any means of communication. Species lacking communication would have become extinct shortly after evolving.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
how so? many animals are born fully independent and never see their parents...

sea turtles, birds, many fish, etc.

there are also many animals that can not "learn" from things, and dont have ability to rely complex messages.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store