Ferret Bites Baby's Fingers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
just curious...would you accept that behavior from a dog?

Madcrawdad

The ONLY AC Mafia
Dec 29, 2006
Chicagoland
Understand what you are saying, but to me, that statement comes across as acceptance for the action.
You can't blame the ferret. It' like saying, "Crap. My mean old Oscar just ate all of my guppies. What's up with that?" Ferrets and babies don't mix. That makes it the parents' fault; not the ferret's.

Not saying that I wouldn't have killed the thing...if something were attacking my kid, I'd stomp it quick (regardless of who was at fault). As a parent, I do my best to minimize the dangers facing my kids,though, especially in the home. Obviously these people didn't.

Why the heck someone would need to own a ferret is beyond me, but as I said, people seem to think they have the right to own whatever animal they want to.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't think anyone is saying it was acceptable behavior from the ferret. What's more unacceptable is that the parents left a 4 month old unattended with a ferret long enough for it to chew off 8 fingers. One bite is something that should have sent the parents to the rescue of their child to prevent further damage.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
just curious...would you accept that behavior from a dog?
Nope!
The thing is though, a dog can be trained..and it's behavior is a reflection of how the owner has raised it. Yes, even after being trained and raised properly things can happen although the likelyhood is lessened.
A ferret on the other hand (although you may be able to train it to do tricks) is not trainable (behaviorly) it is a wild animal regardless of how long you may of had it, and having one in the same house with a baby is just irresponsible.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have a rescued dog that is food aggressive and we work on that regularly to break him of it. The dog is sequestered away from the family when the grandchildren are here and going to be eating or if he is going to eat. An adult always supervises to ensure everyone's safety. If he should happen to bite someone, it won't be an "aww shucks he's just an animal", it will be a far more serious repercussion than that! People that allow the chance of an animal interacting with their baby are truly not fit to be parents!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The ferret was just doing what ferrets do....
I don't blame the ferret for what happened, it was being a animal...

What's more unacceptable...

Granted, the parents are at fault.....but statements of the type like above are indirectly acceptance of the ferret's actions, IMO. I have seen enough issues with pets over the yrs, that I feel this is one that should be outlawed to extinction.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I don't see any difference between what you're saying and the push for legislation like hr669, Bish. You can't blame the animal, because it's a frickin animal, and has no moral compass. It's not the ferret's job to discern right and wrong. It's the parent's job to keep a potentially dangerous animal away from their child. If our legal system were predicated on keeping the dumbest amongst us from hurting themselves and others, the rest of us would be dealing with some draconian laws affecting our freedom. Am I upset that the ferret died, not in the least, but I also understand that the actions of a couple of knuckleheads should not be cause for outlawing an animal the vast majority of keepers have never had such issues with.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Can blame the animal all I want.....and the parents to boot...the world will survive without the rats.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Lol, yeah, well you're more than welcome to blame the animal, but it's about as pointless as blaming the sun for your sunburn, or blaming alcohol for your stupid drunken behavior.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store