Goldfish laid eggs - with photos, etc.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
i was just looking at guppylure's fry development thread again, and i really like the little animations of the parents. it's a great way to show how the parents move and in some ways tells more than the still photos.
so i've made my own animations of mom and dad (well, the primary dad - with so many boys, who knows, really).

check it out! (and thanks for the inspiration, guppylure!)

this is Napoleon. you've all met him before. i think he's checking out the snails getting it on to his left.

and here's mom, Upstart. i think she's ready to go again. you can see how plump she is, and the boys follow her everywhere.

i think that at least some of the babies i have are going to be comets like Napoleon. it's hard to tell at this point, but it looks like a few of them have those ridiculously long tail fins. i'm excited!

i've got a couple more of these in the works that i'll post later today or tomorrow. :)

Last edited:

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Well, I made some big changes today.
When I checked on the babies at dinnertime last night, they each had a tiny white edging on their fins and everyone was hanging out at the top in the salvinia roots. Immediately I recognized the preliminary stage of fin rot. Something that's almost impossible to diagnose early in adults was easy to see on those tiny translucent baby fins.
So that was my better-late-than-never clue that it was time to move them into the "big kid" tank. The 2.5 gallon was just too small for 25 growing babies. Using the turkey baster to pick out food bits and do small water changes just wasn't cutting it. I had a 10 gallon lying around (handy!) and this morning I pulled that out, dropped in a large sponge filter with attached powerhead, and moved everyone over. I added 8 rounded teaspoons of aquarium salt as well, to help the babies recover.
Since I was adding the salt, I knew the baby snails couldn't move into the 10 gallon. So they were moved into a breeding net in the big tank.

It's been about a half hour since the little ones moved, and already they are acting much happier. They head up to the top once in a while, but most of the fry are swimming mid-level and checking out the new sponge filter, the plastic plant, and all the extra room! The powerhead creates a lot more water movement than just the elite mini had been doing. They're still getting used to that, but the added oxygen in the water seems to be helping them feel better.

I'm expecting a growth spurt with the move, both in the fish and the snails. From previous experience, I've learned that the sooner babies can move into big tanks, the better. Nursery tanks are good until they're easy to spot, easy to feed, and easy to net. After that, big tanks are much better. So I'm excited about the move. I'll keep you all updated! :)

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
No one is saying anything, but I know you all are reading because the count keeps going up so I'm assuming there's still interest in this subject.

I've thought about continuing this on my blog, but I'd like to make it easy to find for anyone looking it up in the future.

Anyway, here are some new photos from today.

That looks like a comet tail to me. Hooray!

Baby innards.

I'm sure this is a shubunkin-fathered baby. Check out the markings.

The metallic bits that were previously just on the gill plate have spread all across this baby's abdomen.

You can see lots of development in this shot.

Cheeky little fellow!

These little babies are about 1 1/2 cm long now, about this: ---------- long.

And here's the current setup.

So, for reference (I thumbnailed these since you've seen them - it's kind of obnoxious to see them big again, I think - but they're clickable to go to the big version):

Day four:

Day eight:

Day 18:

Day 27:

Last edited:

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
This is an amazing thread!!
I'm surprised how well Napoleon's breeding turbercles show up. I'm used to seeing them on my oversexed black moor I thought they stood out so much because of his color.
I wished I had your photo skills.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
amazing !! when you put them in the big tank, will you have the intakes covered or are they safe to not be sucked up in the filters? I love this thread!!! I look forward to the updates :)

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Oh good, I'm glad everyone is enjoying the updates! I sure enjoy updating you all. It's fun when you have fry, every little happening seems so momentous.

when you put them in the big tank, will you have the intakes covered or are they safe to not be sucked up in the filters?
i'll only put them in the big tank once they're over an inch long. they're much too small now - i don't think there would be issues with the intake, but mom and dad might think they were lunch. :eek3:

and, granny, your avatar is rad. totally rad.

today the babies aren't showing any of the fin rot they had yesterday. it looks like the salt, fresh water, and extra room did the trick. they're active and happy today, picking around on the bottom just like their parents. it's great to see them in the tank, with the light and the plants. it finally looks like an aquarium and not just a nursery. and they're getting so big! :D

flapper12

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
Temple, Texas
This has to be my favorite thread on the AC. Awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store