Goldfish laid eggs - with photos, etc.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

trashion

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
aw, this is great! can't wait to see them grown up. they're so cute :)

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
FS your Napoleon and Upstart look a lot like my longfinned coment male (I'm only had for 4 years so no name yet) and my white Kamakazee. A remarkable similarity other than yours are in better shape :) If you want to make the drive up to Northern Cal you can take some shots for me. I don't have nearly as good of camera as you do.

What plants do you have in with them? I'm looking at adding some to my tank and I like the way yours look.

Feeder tanks do have some beautiful fish in them.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Thanks TheV! I'd love to see some photos of your fish. And don't feel bad about the shots, I get paid to take pictures so I'm doing it 5, sometimes 6 days a week, all day. Lots of practice! :)

I'm actually using all plastic and silk plants. After lots of trips between Michael's, Joann's, and different LFS I was able to determine that most of the plants you buy in the LFS are just re-packaged versions of the ones you can buy at crafts stores. So I've bought most of my plants at Michael's lately. Just be sure they don't have exposed wires or paper wrapping at the base. I was using the equivalent of Fancy Plants Giants in the tank for quite a while, but now I'm using some plastic grass I was able to find at Joann's.

I do have some live Salvinia floating at the top of the fry tank, and a little in the big tank, but Napoleon and Upstart like salad and most of its gone by now.

Bobostarr99

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
Wow, I just caught onto this thread. I love it!

I wish I had been around to follow when you started all this but I'll tell ya this was fascinating reading from day one with the 1st batch (sorry, by the way) up until now! Really fascinating!! I have always wondered how hard it was to raise gold fish.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to checking back to see the progress!

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Good news and bad news.
Bad news first. I haven't had any luck hatching more brine shrimp for the babies. I don't know what changed, but I'm sure something is wrong with my hatching method. I'm going to look up some hatching info and see what I can do.
Also bad news, I lost a baby. Just one, and the others are fine, but it's unnerving not to know the cause.

Good news, all the surviving fry are fat and happy, growing like weeds and swimming well in the 10 gallon's increased current now. :)

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Sorry to here that you lost a little one. There are so many different reasons that you little one died it's better not to even guess. It happens.

Here's some links to my fish Kamakazee (7 years old) and the longfinned comet (yet to be named, 4 years old). I also included some pic's of my new little guys I picked up from the store currently in the quarantine tank. 3 cuties and one ugly to make the others look good.

kamakazee
longfin
realistic colors

New fish 1
New fish 2

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Wow, TheV, i think we must have the halves of two sets of twins! your fish look almost exactly like mine. your orange comet even has the white edges on his tail! and i love your new babies, they are so cute. even the "ugly" one! plus, you never know, the ugliest babies can be the most beautiful adults.

speaking of babies, my babies suddenly developed a bunch of color yesterday. i went in to check on them and it was shocking! i have some very dark babies, yellowish babies, and the little ones that were slightly speckled have big dark patches now. :D it looks like almost half of the little ones are shubunkin-fathered babies.

i'll take some photos later today.

i've also added gravel to the bottom of the tank to encourage them to eat at dinnertime. i think if they can't pick off the bottom as much they will develop better feeding habits. although i'm not looking forward to the extra work of a gravel-bottom tank. :[

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
sorry to leave you guys hanging for so long! this week has been a little crazy at work and i haven't had time to photograph the babies lately.

i performed the first 50% water change on the 10 gallon yesterday, as the ammonia levels were getting much too high. since i stopped using the room lights for the tank and bought a small hood for the tank, the salvinia started dying off, falling into the gravel and rotting. so i vacuumed the gravel and changed 50% of the water, added some salt and Prime, and today the fry are looking much happier.
i have one little speckled baby that i'm pretty sure won't last through the week, though. it's really too bad, he's very pretty and quite active, darting around and pecking at things... and then floating on his back... and then darting around... and then floating. i'm not sure if it's a swimbladder issue or something else internal. he looks fine, but he's not acting fine. i don't want to euthanize him yet, but i'm considering it.
the biggest of the fry have begun to form little schools and swim around the tank together. there are two sizes of fry now - big, fat, and yellowish, and small and speckled. i don't know if it's inherent in the shubunkin genes that they grow slower, but they're much smaller than the other fry.
anyway, onto the photos.

look, scales! :D

these kids know who feeds them!

aren't they adorable? they're getting big enough now that i'm considering how i will find them all good homes. i'll only keep two or maybe three. hmm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store