Help! I think my Betta has velvet.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

francapps

AC Members
Mar 18, 2018
Camera Used
Samsung s8 phone camera
Hello,

I have a crowntail betta. Ive had him for almost a month now. Hes usually very active and a bit of an eater. I have been away for a few days (my brother fed him while i was away). i noticed he stayed at the bottom of the tank a lot today which isnt his norm. Hes normally a happy little guy and likes to nap on his leaf. His fins are normally spread out as he swims but he has had them a bit clamped today and was not eating as much. He also started darting around which concerned me. So i changed the water in his tank to see if that would change things, it hasnt and im worried. I used my flashlight to get a better look at him and noticed a little bit of gold shine to him. He has a natural iridecence to him but im not sure if this gold has always been there. I have him in a 3.5 gallon tank with an air pump filter (that i turned off just now to see if that would help). The tank has a heater, its somewhere between 80-86 degrees right now..just not sure how to read it.

Please help, im worried something is wrong. He had made such a lovely bubble nest before last weeks water change and now he isnt acting himself.

Here is a photo I took tonight. The photo is with the flash on. I took some video as well but Im not sure how to upload it on here.

20180318_004454.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Tank parameters from a good liquid test kit?

Overfed from your brother?

francapps

AC Members
Mar 18, 2018
Camera Used
Samsung s8 phone camera
Tank parameters from a good liquid test kit?

Overfed from your brother?
I dont have a kit yet. Getting one today. My brother fed him only what he could eat in 3 min (3-4 pellets)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Is that a stick on thermometer? They can be difficult to read. Turn the filter back on, skip a couple days of feeding and do daily water changes with a good additive like Prime.

francapps

AC Members
Mar 18, 2018
Camera Used
Samsung s8 phone camera
Is that a stick on thermometer? They can be difficult to read. Turn the filter back on, skip a couple days of feeding and do daily water changes with a good additive like Prime.
NO3 = 20
NO2 = 0
PH = 7
KH = 120
GH = 120

i went out and got a new thermometer, super ick cure (ive heard it works on velvet, and betta salt.

What should I do?

He seems to be swimming around more today. I came home and found him on his leaf at the top of the tank and now hes swimming around

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I wouldn't treat on a hit or miss issue.

francapps

AC Members
Mar 18, 2018
Camera Used
Samsung s8 phone camera
I wouldn't treat on a hit or miss issue.
Oh no. I already treated him. I looked at him this morning and saw gold dust all around his face and saw some horizontal lines across his body so, Im hoping I caught it early enough. I used a combo of betta salt and super ick cure. Ive heard that a combo is helpful.

Are the water readings normal though? Im unsure.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Are those readings from a dip strip?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Not the most reliable as I'm sure you have read. Get that liquid one when you can, do water changes even if just 25% daily and watch his behavior.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store