help stocking my 10gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
As for the fish, I would do a school of 10 of one of those 2, then pick up 2 sparkling gouramis as a "centerpiece". They are peaceful and stay small. It is better to have more fish in your school as this will bring out more of their natural behavior.
Wouldn't that be borderline too much for a 10gal though?

Joel

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
So i decides 10 neons because they are easier to get and some cherry shrimp. I like the idea of the gouramis but im also going to check out the few LFS to see if they have any other cool centerpieces for my tank. Also i dont know much about moss and lighting requirements for any types of moss. Any tips or advice about the moss?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
Wouldn't that be borderline too much for a 10gal though?

Joel
Micro fish and shrimp have a really small bioload, so you don't really calculate stocking the same way. Plus, if you keep a good maintenance schedule, you can always get away with stocking more.

Neons are definitely cool. Just be careful where you get them from. They are notorious for being unhealthy at the lfs because of the nature of the way they are caught. Plus, it is recommended that you have an established tank.

As far as mosses go, they are all pretty low maintenance and do not require anything higher than low light. Just find one you like and throw it in there. The shrimp do not discriminate either. Pelia is a personal favorite, but I do keep about 6 different types. One other thing that shrimp love is cholla wood. If you can get your hands on some, definitely consider throwing that in your tank. You can find some on Aquabid or some members on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

metricliman

Senior Member (not)
Dec 6, 2012
New York
So i decides 10 neons because they are easier to get and some cherry shrimp. I like the idea of the gouramis but im also going to check out the few LFS to see if they have any other cool centerpieces for my tank. Also i dont know much about moss and lighting requirements for any types of moss. Any tips or advice about the moss?

Leave it in there and it will grow. Moss doesn't really need anything special except trimming once in a while.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Sweet. I like the look of the java moss or christmas tree moss. Im thinking of getting my stock from bobstropicalplants. He has cool nano fish that i would love to have and i love the yellow shrimp. And i agree, the neons from my lfs seem to die off quickly even in an established tank. Has anyone ordered from bobstropicalplants?

CrustaceaCurtis

AC Members
Feb 17, 2012
North of Boston
I recommend amano shrimp. They're big enough to not get eaten, but not too big, and are perfectly harmless. They're great algae eaters, too!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I never thought of amano shrimp. Are they easy to keep and maintain? I want this tank to be easy and low maintance.

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
ya amano shrimp are easy... they do get bigger than cherry shrimp though so couldnt have as many, also as far as a centerpiece fish just make sure that no fish in that tanks MOUTH is big enough to eat the shrimp because if it is, they will be expensive treats...

I have some suggestions as the Shrimp go... The ghost shrimp is usually your cheapest can go from 25 cents apiece up to 3 dollars apeice some places, but they usually arent kept in great conditions because they are purchased in bulk and they do also get to around 1 to 1.5 inches

Cherry shrimp are great, they stay smaller than 1 inch, the females get red and the males are kinda Pinkish, they cost from around 2.50 to 5 dollars apiece

tiger shrimp look like ghost shrimp but they have black lines on there back, from my experience they are a little tougher to keep and are around 3-5 dollars
yellow shrimp, blueberry shrimp, sunkist shirmp, red crystal shrimp are some of the most eye pleasing shrimp you can get, but most of them can range from 5 to 12 dollars apiece and are not something i would suggest to a beginner since the cost is high

I would like to mention my favorite type of shrimp and there is some debate as to if they are a differe species or not
Sakura Shrimp which basically look like VERY red cherry shrimp, they stay about the same size but are much more colorful, some will say they are just hand picked cherry shrimp but I believe they are a different species and they can go from about 4-6 dollars apiece but they are pretty durable

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I have a few LFS in my area that sell different types of shrimp. I really love the yellow shrimp but ill just wait it out and get some experience with different shrimp before investing in the yellow shrimp.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
If you have any iffy fish in your tank--fish that could potentially eat shrimp--start with ghost shrimp. They are cheap and often sold as feeders. They don't usually last long even if they don't get eaten. But, since they are cheap, you can test your fish with them. IF they get eaten, you know your fish eat shrimp, if they are ignored, then it's safe to buy more expensive shrimp.

Emily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store