Hi new guy here ...210 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
gunther said:
By the way, stop having a hiss about the "release" advice. You see that I addressed it immediately, no need to get excited.
Not sure If you are refering to my post on that, but I was more yelling at emg (a good friend of mine here) than at you. It is a problem we have to make note of in many a native fishtank post, and even some of the most knowledgable fishkeepers are unaware since they do not know much about local native species in aquaria. You may see it again, and have to simply state you are aware of the laws, risks, do and donts.

kody1192

AC Members
Mar 2, 2006
very nice tank....like where its set up at..i also have my 235gal in the basment(in my room) since it wouldnt go upstairs...well it would but not without some problems lol....you should check out www.monsterfishkeepers.com its the sponsor of this site has lots of great info for specific fish...

gunther

AC Members
Jul 29, 2006
Not sure If you are refering to my post on that, but I was more yelling at emg (a good friend of mine here) than at you. It is a problem we have to make note of in many a native fishtank post, and even some of the most knowledgable fishkeepers are unaware since they do not know much about local native species in aquaria. You may see it again, and have to simply state you are aware of the laws, risks, do and donts.
You weren't talking to me, however it was a response to my thread and I addressed it immediately following the post suggesting it. Any further correspondence between you and your friend about your disappointment in his advice can be a PM. We don't need numerous people pointing out problems with the suggestion. No offense.

Kody.........thanks I'll check

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
EMG!?!?!?!?! I am shocked you would advocate this! Native species that have been kept in aquaria are a vector for disease! Never release any fish you have had in your tank into the wild native or not.
Actually SF...I didn't know that.......since I have never kept native fish....(learn something new everyday !)....

Sooo, if you catch them in a river/lake/stream....and raise them in your tank..........is it that they can introduce oddball diseases into their natural habitat....or.....is it that they do not develope an immunity to diseases in their own natural habit and so will easily succumb ? :huh:

Lol.....btw....no offense taken at SF's responce......or anyone's else's.....takes a slap up side the head from time to time to make you realize that you don't actually "know" everything ! :D

Last edited:

kody1192

AC Members
Mar 2, 2006
and as others stated do NOT EVER release aquarium fish into any lakes ponds rivers anywhere native or not....this is why so many fish are banned such as snakeheads....all we need is people telling people to do this......

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Emg said:
Sooo, if you catch them in a river/lake/stream....and raise them in your tank..........is it that they can introduce oddball diseases into their natural habitat....or.....is it that they do not develope an immunity to diseases in their own natural habit and so will easily succumb ? :huh:
The issue is that they can introduce diseases or other nasties(think MTS eggs or even non-native plants for a longshot)into the wild. I would assume they would have a decrased immunity to wild diseases, but that would be of much less concern.

sly2kusa

Lover of Esox
Jul 25, 2006
SF - is there documentation out there that describes what you are talking about? What I mean is - is there any documented instances where such disease happened from fish being put back into the wild like that? Or is it speculation?

Just curious to know these things - thanks.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I honestly do not know of any documentaion of this, but have heard it from trusted fishkeepers. I can say that it is speculation on my part, but would not risk testing the theory.

edit- while this deals with seafood, it is along the same lines.
http://massbay.mit.edu/exoticspecies/seafood/index.html

while this deals with introduction of non-native species, near the bottom is a piece on the spread of didease. I do know that there are things in our tanks not found in the wild.
http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5628E/x5628e05.htm

Last edited:

gunther

AC Members
Jul 29, 2006
there are problems in large US rivers with nondomestic fish and there are also problems in the great lakes region with nondomestics. This is not the thread for that and I don't have specifics but one more threat approaching the great lakes was just in the news last week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store