how to deal with overly aggressive stray cat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
I have to say, I am not a cat fan, but I'm also an animal lover and all the "shoot it" posts sound pretty extreme to me.

There are a variety of things you can do to help deter stray cats without having to resort to violence.

the super soaker idea is a great one. And to keep the cats out of your yard when you're not around with the super soaker, they make these great motion-detecting sprayers for around your house. An encounter or two with those is usually enough to do the trick. Something like this: http://www.deteracat.co.uk/

And here's some home-made 'remedies' to help keep cats away: http://www.cat-repellant.info/html/diy-cat-deterrents.htm

Anyhow - I think animal control is probably your best bet.

And the cat does not sound rabid. It sounds feral. http://tagalivestock.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-recognize-rabid-animal.html

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
We've had the trap out for 2 days with some leftover tuna in it and haven't had any hits yet. It's been rainy out, though. So, that might be effecting our success. If we catch the possible rabid cat I plan on trying to bring it somewhere to be "tested". Any other cats are going to take a ride to the next town over and be re-released because the shelter doesn't want them.

Please don't dump the cats in the next town or anywhere else. Then they only become someone else's problem.

Look, your county government has a department for animal control. It's their job to deal with these cats and the woman who feeds them. If they refuse to deal with it, then find out when your county government holds public meetings and be sure to attend the next one. Contacting some of the local papers wouldn't hurt either. And don't forget the public health department.

Good luck.

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
I know you said the "Shelter" doesn't want them. It seems like you've contacted a humane society or something to that effect. Most places like that won't take strays(as you've noticed) You really should look into animal control though. Most cities have an animal control - there is sometimes a shelter/adoption center associated with this service. I know the one here won't go out and trap stray cats, though they will lend you a live trap and come pick it up if you catch one. If the cat is suitable for adoption and they have space, it will be put up for adoption. If not, it will be humanely euthanized. In my opinion humane euthanasia is kinder than setting it 'free' somewhere else where it will have to find food in a new unfamiliar territory (starvation is not nice). Cats running 'at large' have a high risk of injury and disease but can be quite prolific before meeting their end, thus increasing the problem. As well, as you have noted, large populations of semi feral cats can be a health risk, both to humans and to other pets. If you have large numbers of cats in your area, please make sure you are routinely getting your puppy dewormed.

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I agree, it is an animal control issue but you might find that animal control only deals with animals that they have existing laws about. For instance, most places have leash laws and barking ordinances regarding dogs. Many places have no specified laws regarding cats in terms of where they can roam. If you have no laws regarding cats, it's possible that animal control will tell you there is nothing they can do. If that happens, call the health department. Feral cats can be a public health hazard because they can be rabies vectors. The health department can lean on the right people to have it addressed (possibly).

Woodward

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Indiana
Please don't dump the cats in the next town or anywhere else. Then they only become someone else's problem.

Look, your county government has a department for animal control. It's their job to deal with these cats and the woman who feeds them. If they refuse to deal with it, then find out when your county government holds public meetings and be sure to attend the next one. Contacting some of the local papers wouldn't hurt either. And don't forget the public health department.

Good luck.

he wasnt talkin about putting it into another town...

he was sayin to trap it, take it to the woods, and kill it.

but in all seriousness, my old neighbors used to feed the coons outside our houses......one found its way into our garage... it got a shotty right to the dome.

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
he was sayin to trap it, take it to the woods, and kill it.
No, I didn't mean this at all. Please don't put words in my mouth. The situation is under control, thank you all for your help.
My puppy is safe now. :dance2:
The reason we resisted calling animal control was because we did not want to cause a problem with our neighbors. The logic was if the town shows up and end up harassing this old lady about her feeding cats... thats gonna cause drama on the block that is not necessary. If the cats "magically dissapeared" by being relocated after trapping 'em in my backyard... no one would be the wiser. Yes, maybe not the most sound logic... but we don't want trouble. Again, thank you all for your help. Its over now, though. :grinyes:

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
So may I ask what you did with those cats? Because if you just drove them out to the country and dumped them in front of a barn, well, you just pissed off the people who own that barn.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Good to know you found a solution that workd for you. Lots of differing opinions, all of them having merit.

Since we are on the topic, a good shot to the head will put down an animal far more "humanely" than capturing, caging and giving a shot. Euthinasia does not make us see blood, so we feel it is "nicer". The drug that paralizes the animal hides how scared it really is. That being said, a poor shot can result in a slow painful death, or worse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store