Laptop speakers issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
try malwarebytes. it usually picks up on the real nasties others miss. at least for me.

i have a whole gambit i run on my kids machines and never seem to have any issues. found 49,000+ threats on my aunts machine about 2 months ago... installed the gambit for her and made a pdf file of instructions and she hasn't called me since. i'm guessing she's doing much better now. most adults, i try to convert to linux so i can avoid getting calls every day for issues.

Hmm, I should probably do that for myself. Seems how I just realized that I never installed any anti virus on this pc after I went to windows 7 and my firewall is off for a lan party since I am normally the server there. What linux do you use.

Not trying to jack the thread or anything.

I would listen to dun on this. He is usually right and is pretty good with electronic stuff.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Hmm, I should probably do that for myself. Seems how I just realized that I never installed any anti virus on this pc after I went to windows 7 and my firewall is off for a lan party since I am normally the server there. What linux do you use.

Not trying to jack the thread or anything.

I would listen to dun on this. He is usually right and is pretty good with electronic stuff.
mostly using ubuntu natty narwhal to oneiric, currently. dabbling a little lately with MINT, but still prefer ubuntu. got puppy linux, red hat, fedora, suse, knoppix and a few other distros lying around on disc that i've played with as well.
Went on and off quick again this morning. I'm hoping it is a hardware issue, rather than malware that is...
i offered, come tomorrow the offer is invalid till after new years due to holidays. it's up to you.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
mostly using ubuntu natty narwhal to oneiric, currently. dabbling a little lately with MINT, but still prefer ubuntu. got puppy linux, red hat, fedora, suse, knoppix and a few other distros lying around on disc that i've played with as well.

i offered, come tomorrow the offer is invalid till after new years due to holidays. it's up to you.
Cool, I use ubuntu and xubuntu to test out stuff sometimes, but usually put windows on the machine latter bc everyone knows how to use it.

Hey, you could try booting from a linux usb/cd. Do that, then press the try ubuntu button (will probably take a while to actually get into ubuntu). This will leave everything on your hdd alone but give you a chance to see if it is windows/virus or if it is hardware.

Sounds like dun offered to help you locally? If you can I would take up his offer. You will probably walk away with a working computer and some gained knowledge.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I run xubuntu or other lightweight flavors on old machines as they hum along as if they were running DOS. They are too old and slow to run any of today's bloatware. I do like openSuse and most Debian-based flavors. DSL and Puppy I run from the CD but save everything to the hdd or else run it from a thumbdrive.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
You can install ubuntu from within Windows 7 with Wubi. It will install in a duel boot. When you are sick of it boot into windows and use the windows uninstaller to remove it. I have used it a couple times and it works well and will not hose your MBR so it wont nuke your restore partition.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
You can install ubuntu from within Windows 7 with Wubi. It will install in a duel boot. When you are sick of it boot into windows and use the windows uninstaller to remove it. I have used it a couple times and it works well and will not hose your MBR so it wont nuke your restore partition.
absolutely, but there are a few caveats to that...

it's not a long term option as the wubi install invariably crashes eventually... normally during/after a windows update.
it defeats the purpose of having linux as a backup on a windows machine since it's installed within windows, so you can't infiltrate your windows environment for maintenance or in case of an emergency.
the wubi install can be sketchy at best at times depending on the system hardware and some OEM windows installs. granted, it does usually work.
when the wubi install crashes, it can hang up your windows partition and rob some of your disk space and give you one heck of a time trying to recover that disk space.

splitting and reformatting part of your windows install (if say your "recovery disk" only lets you take the whole drive like the wifes compaq disks) is a whole lot more stable. even better is to only allocate some of your drive to windows in the first place with the linux partition being completely separate from any windows allocated space in the first place. the coup de grace of all dual boot windows/linux options, is definitely to allocate entire drives for each OS and choose between drives (not just operating systems) at startup. this eliminates all of the aforementioned minor to major issues when the two have to share a machine.

we're getting quite a bit off topic. maybe we can make a linux geek thread if this has to go on further? sorry, pap.

ex does bring up some good points about thumb drives for the smaller distros and lighter distros for older B-boxes...

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Oh jeez...all this comp talk has me really confused. I'd rather not switch up my OS or anything like that as I would like to just keep things as is...minus the speaker issue that is...

Speaking of the speakers, they are back to working AGAIN. But I did hear a faint crackling noise at first when nothing was even playing.

Dun, were you offering instructions for the malware issue or...? Sorry, like I said all this tech talk has got me turned around.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Assuming you're a college kid using your computer for school work and such there is no reason that you should need to switch your OS. Linux is great, but someone like you gains nothing from it.

I don't see anything that suggests your problem is malware related. Malware wants to steal your info more than break your speakers. The fact that it's intermittent and you heard cracking is more in support of hardware failure. The replacement speakers are dirt cheap. If you can find someone you trust, who is comfortable with switching the speakers out, you can have it all fixed in no time at the cost of buying someone lunch.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Dun, were you offering instructions for the malware issue or...? Sorry, like I said all this tech talk has got me turned around.
yes sir. directions for complete, comprehensive coverage for anything that may be a threat at any time. unlikely to fix your speaker issue (although crazier things have happened), but at least you'll be covered in case it was malware that over heated something that inadvertently heated and blew your speakers... or any other crazy combination of whatever may attack your pc.

it's all i can offer short of sending you my mailing address so i can fix it myself.

zaffy does have a point, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store