Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, part 1-4

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Devilish

AC Members
Jun 8, 2007
Northeast NJ
I have been following this thread and going to give this a shot. I like the idea of the bucket style, but unfortunately I do not have the room for that, so I will most likely be using a floating style in my sump. Two quick questions. 1 - The area I will be using is 10x6.5. Is this large enough for a 40 gal since it will only be one sided? 2 - If I purchase a pre-seeded screen, will the turf die off and enter the tank since it will be submerged?

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
10x6.5 should be just about enough. Go for it!

SantaMonica; That PH comment is of course caused by aeration of the water blowing off CO2.

Morgadeth; That looks great! I suspect you are right about 'later' flow. You may also learn something as your setup will cause a fan of different water flows. From none, to damp, to wet, to submerged. You may find that what you want to grow likes a particular wetness a lot better.

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Now you've definitely got turbulence. Now just get that light down as close to the screen as possible.
I actually just take the hood off for maintenence.. There's two 50/50 mini flourescents in the hood, about 6 inches away (or less, depending the screen's position)

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
You may also learn something as your setup will cause a fan of different water flows. From none, to damp, to wet, to submerged. You may find that what you want to grow likes a particular wetness a lot better.
That's exactly what I was thinking.. I can monitor the differing degrees of flow and adjust according to growth paterns

SantaMonica

AC Members
devil: That would be 65 sq in, but you really need 80. It will work just as good, but it will fill up faster. And when it fills up, it stops working. But, it will work :)

kcress: I think aeration of the water is secondary to the metobolic process of the algae. Some people run their old-style scrubbers completely closed (no air access), and still get great pH increase.

morg: I really don't think a 50/50 mini flourescent is enough, and 6" is certainly too far away. Can you clip on one of the CFL 120W equivalent floodlights I posted? On another forum, a guy had his lamp like yours and after a week had little growth. He moved it to 1" from the screen and their was a "growth explosion".

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I'll see what I can do about the lighting. I might need to get a flood light from the store over the upcoming week...

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
devil:
kcress: I think aeration of the water is secondary to the metobolic process of the algae. Some people run their old-style scrubbers completely closed (no air access), and still get great pH increase.
I was referring to your quote of: "And I have noticed my pH raise up about .15 in a few hours since installing it."

That isn't enough time to even grown some algae so a few hours is not a biologically valid result.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I was referring to your quote of: "And I have noticed my pH raise up about .15 in a few hours since installing it."

That isn't enough time to even grown some algae so a few hours is not a biologically valid result.
I agree. While the scrubber can and will have a definite resulting change in pH when grown out, the only explanation for the above is the greater equilibration of CO2 with the atmosphere (of your home).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store