Mono Sebaes FREE to a good home.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
No pics of the 150 gal off hand but I can get some.
I asked the LFS to order one at the measurements I stated eariler and one week later I had it. I was a little pricy for the size, $1050.00.
Filtration:
Eheim 2228 (275 gph)
Eheim 2026 (250 gph)
PowerSweep 280 (270 gph)
H.O.T. Magnum (250 gph)

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
I am planning on adding a Lifegard Aquarium Filter System (double - design for 200 gal tanks) to my 150 gal and removing the H.O.T. Magnum.
I also have a SeaClone™ Protein Skimmer.
Lifegard Aquarium Filter System
AF-94 Mechanical Module
AF-93 Chemical Module
AF-92 Heater Module
UV Sterilizer Module

The salinity ranges from 1.005 to 1.018 dependinding on season to match their natural habitat. The tank is at 1.013 right now.

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Olaf, that sounds great. With the size tank you have, it's current inhabitants and your plans for a much larger tank, I would love to give you my Sebaes. Where are you located? I have not found out how much shipping would come out to, or how to go about doing it safely and efficiently. My main concern with shipping these fish is their safety and the amount of stress it would cause them. I will do my best to find out how to ship them. I think you will be plaesed with the appearance of my fish they are developing very nicely. I will try to get some good pics and post them here.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
I live in Michigan.
How long have you had your sebaes?
I have had my fish for a little over two years.
I have a quartine tank setup for any new fish I would aquire. It is setup for low stress in a dim tranquil place in my home.

More info about your sebaes, how are you measuring, from head to tail or from top to bottom?

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have had my Sebaes for nearly 4 months now. I got them when they were just little things at about 1 1/2 inches. I measure them by total height, top to bottom, so from tip of fin to tip of fin. Olaf, If I can find out how to safely ship my fish will you pay shipping, or would it depend on how much it costs? Also I am curious as to how you are measuring them? 4 1/2 inches seems kind of small for an adult Sebae.

Last edited:

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
4 1/2" is from nose to tail, 6 3/4" to 7" tall. He tries to school with my Argentine Monos, but I think he would be happier schooling if he had some like his own.
When I got my Monos I got 5 Sebaes and 5 Argentines they were the size of a quarter. The Sebaes had very little fin elongation. They looked almost like the Argentines.
Four of the five Sebaes died about 6 months after I got them. I had gotten a Ceylon Puffer that went after the Sebaes, attached them and started eating them. Damage done in one day. :(
I returned the puffer to the store and told the owner what had happened.

Find out about how much it will cost. I will be stopping in at the LFS and I will ask them about shipping fish. I will get back with you on what I find out.

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Olaf, just to let you know I will not ship my fish if I don't feel that they will be okay in transit. I do not want there to be a chance that my fish will arrive dead or will die from the ordeal of shipping.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
My Sebae is a little smaller than the one in this picture. (about an inch smaller)

Illustrations:
Monodactylus sebae

Inhabits mainly estuaries and mangroves. Enters lagoons and freshwaters. Feeds on fish, shrimps and zooplankton.

Monodactylus argenteus

Dorsal spines (total): 7-8; Dorsal soft rays (total): 27-31; Anal spines: 3-3; Anal soft rays: 27-32.
Commonly found in mangrove estuaries, often entering creeks. Sometimes found in silty coastal reefs. Can live in freshwater. Feeds on plankton and detritus. Highly territorial.

Monodactylus falciformis

Dorsal spines (total): 8-8; Dorsal soft rays (total): 25-30; Anal spines: 3-3; Anal soft rays: 25-29.
Adults silvery with dusky dorsal and anal lobes; juveniles dusky with dark vertical bars.
Biology: Inhabits coastal waters including estuaries and lagoons. Seldom enters freshwater.

Monodactylus kottelati
No image

Related to the Family:

Schuettea scalaripinnis

Schools are found in coastal bays, protected island coves, deeper part of large estuaries close to the sea entrance, and along rocky drop-offs with kelp.

Last edited:

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Olaf, I just found out that I need a license to ship the fish out of the country. A dealer here in Toronto said that the license would be expensive. I wonder if you are willing to drive over to Toronto to pick up the fish? It is not too far from Michigan. By the time you factor in paying for the license and the cost of shipping over night for these size fish. It would be less expensive to drive here and back. Although it would be time consuming. Please let me know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store