My Mum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Glad to hear that she is in better spirits now. While taking the advice given here by people experienced with this, one thing was not suggested and that is counseling for the care-giver. Other than the staff, a family usually will have one person spend the most time with the patient. As "Reframer" has suggested, these are functions of a care-giver. The hospital will often have some sort of care-giver classes you can attend that will make your time more productive. If all else fails, try an online support group.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Glad to hear that she has taken a turn for the better! I hope she continues to improve.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
It sounds as if you have found a very nice place for your mom to stay, so I'm hoping that all works out! And yay that your mom has had a couple of good days......and here's hoping there's many, many more good days in store for her and the family!!!

janewalsh11

AC Members
Jun 30, 2007
uk
Thanks for the comments,thoughts and prayers :)
Mum has gone downhill again,she has another chest infection and a terrible cough,she's being given oxygen and also regularly being nebulised.The funding panel were meant to meet today,now we've been told they are going for government funding,i have to attend a meeting tomorrow at the hospital in regards to this.Someone from the nursing home has been out to assess mum,so long as we get funding,she will be able to go to the home we want.

Thankyou Reframer,the idea of music is a good one,mum loves music and always has done,sometimes she's tries to sing too.She often whistled but now the sound has gone when she tries .One thing i never thought about was support groups or counselling,just figured it's something you deal with.I have looked online and there are support groups out there so i will look into them.

Hopefully mum will get over this latest infection,we are clinging onto the hope that she will walk again,time will tell.She knew i was there last night,she held my hand so tightly,we all agree that the sooner she leaves hospital the better.Fingers crossed that we get the funding.Thanks again everyone for all the support :)

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
oh jane. what a rollercoaster. :(

regardless of support groups, never forget you have us all here. :) we love ya.

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
Hang in there, Janey! We're all hoping for the best for you and your mum. Sending you, your sisters and mum big, big hugs and keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
Tough situation. My condolences to you and your family. Times will get harder before they get better. I think its good to prepare yourself mentally for any hurtles to come.

-Aaron

janewalsh11

AC Members
Jun 30, 2007
uk
Thanks Jon,that is sweet to say :)
"Rollercoaster" is exactly the word i use too.

Thanks Lookit :)

Aaron,i am mentally and physically prepared for the worse case scenario,the hope is mum will recover somewhat when she is in the nursing home,seeing regular faces and being in a nicer environment with some stimulation,we shall see.

When i saw mum last night she was coughing terribly,she has the mother of all coughs right now,she scared the living hell outta me.Dr says no chest infection,just a bad cough.

I saw her this morning,she was very calm,sleepy but not coughing,she was pleased to see me and hugged me.

The meeting went well,all mum's needs were covered,funding isn't going to be a problem,we just have to go through this procedure,we will have a decision on Tuesday,mum could be in the nursing home by Wedsnesday or Thursday.We just have to pack her stuff up at the other home and bring it to this one.Can't wait to have her out of hospital and into this lovely home.:)

Debra Mark

Wench Boots!
Sep 29, 2004
Canada
Real Name
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
Keep the faith, Janey! you are in our thoughts and prayers, and I echo what Jon said - we luv ya and are here for you for support whenever you can make it online.

take care
Debs

janewalsh11

AC Members
Jun 30, 2007
uk
thanks Debs,you guys are like my online family :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store