My Mum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

janewalsh11

AC Members
Jun 30, 2007
uk
Thankyou everyone for such kind words,thoughts and prayers,i appreciate them all.
Although i have 2 brothers and 2 sisters,it seems to be just myself and my youngest sister doing all the running,i guess that's families for ya!!!

I know too well from working in care homes how some people are totally abandoned,i could never be like this,mum wants for nothing,we make sure of that.
Today she was calm and relaxed,it was an easier visit thankfully.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I'm glad to hear that today was better, Janie. Hopefully she will have a quick recovery and be back in familiar surroundings soon.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
My heart goes out to you, Jane. I pray for the best outcome and a short recovery period.

Her falling needs to be adressed. As a fall risk, I wasn't allowed out of bed very much. Sometimes I got only an hour a day out the bed, so please be careful when addressing this problem.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Good! I am glad to hear she was feeling better today. I bet she will be home soon.

janewalsh11

AC Members
Jun 30, 2007
uk
Thanks guys.
When she was admitted the drs ran a load of blood tests to see if anything was wrong,everything came back normal.She had two heart tracings done and her heart is fine too.At the moment she is confined to bed,hopefully tomorrow the drs will be able to tell us exactly what the x-rays show up.We have no idea why she fell,maybe just a simple trip,i don't know.Maybe she needs to use a walking frame to be safer in future.

BreezeRuehls

I own you
Mar 8, 2009
Virginia Beach
I have worked in Alzheimer and dementia care homes for a few years, I can tell you the best thing to do when your mom becomes upset is to let her cool down, and come back in the room about 10 min later and offer again with a big smile. I always sung really softly to people when I was helping them with anything, its a little distracting, so they are not so focused on what you are doing, or the pain, and have found alot of times they will hum back, and be calmer during stressful events. If you need any advice, ask me. If the nurses don't attend her with what she needs, pull the "Report you to the ombudsman's for neglect and abuse" Also put everything in writing, and you can even put it on her wall for the nurses to see. The more you are up the nurses arse, the better your mom will be treated, Fear is a great motivator.

bluerat

im a girl ... not a dude
Oct 7, 2006
hampshire, uk
ooh jane im so sorry to hear that she is not being cared for as she should ....
the sad thing is that not many here will know is my mother in law spent a few days in hospital after a collapse due to a reaction to 2 different meds she was taking.. talking with her at the weekend she told us that she had no problem with the clinical side of things at the hopital it is the general nursing care that was the problem.
my mother in law had worked in the nhs for years as a ward clerk so has seen both sides of the story..
since the mid 80's training of nurses changed , no longer did they train on the wards but were going to uni to study and were not getting hands on experience , so when new nurses came in they did not know how to deal with the ordinary things like the patient being sick also the simple things done by an auxillary nurse like the raising of and the loweing of the bed rest seem to get left leaving those that are unable to do such simple things uncomfortable. its a shame the auxillary nurse has vanished she/he was the general carer of patients..
the other thing my mother in law commented on was that the ward she went to had just reopened after a sickness bug had hit the ward , was that a patient opposite her hadnt eaten due to the fact she needed some aide in doing so... change of shift and a nurse asked whether she was wanting it..well i agree with my mum in law that food should have been taken away not offered after being sat in front of her for hours it was really another thing that could of cause more stomach upsets .
things need to change here for the care of the elderly patient calling them deary, poppet , love is not good either just because a patient has retired doesnt mean they have lost the ability to be like you or i ..
hospitals are under such pressure from government targets that they are not allowed to do the job that they are there for... i just hope things change before our generation get there..

so janey my heart goes out to you and i hope after your rant to the staff things improve and your mum can go back to the comfort of her home soon
xoxox

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
awww Janey, so sorry to hear about this, unfortunately I'm a few thousand miles away, so can't help you there, but I'm here if you need to vent or a virtual punching bad......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store