putting fish to sleep quick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Guys,

I know we are not fish and we really do not know how a fish feels about certain things. Therefore, IMO, we really do have to approach this from a human perspective as we have no other correlation.

The above thus said, if you had an incurable disease and decided to end it all, would you rather:

A) Have someone wheel you outside the hospital and drop a hummer on your head

B) Have someone drop you in an icy vat of water and decrease the temperature until you resembled a Popsicle(tm)

C) Just go to sleep and not wake up

Really and be honest with yourself.

Roan
I'm gonna go with the Hummer (plus money from my estate can buy the Hummer owner a Prius - we all win!)

Being poured into a running garbage disposal would be about as quick as you could get too.

(I don't like killing fish)

huffmagx

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Georgia
Guys,

I know we are not fish and we really do not know how a fish feels about certain things. Therefore, IMO, we really do have to approach this from a human perspective as we have no other correlation.

The above thus said, if you had an incurable disease and decided to end it all, would you rather:

A) Have someone wheel you outside the hospital and drop a hummer on your head

B) Have someone drop you in an icy vat of water and decrease the temperature until you resembled a Popsicle(tm)

C) Just go to sleep and not wake up

Really and be honest with yourself.

Roan
I agree wholeheartedly!

Oh and if I could choose I'd choose "C" for sure for me and my beyond all help pets be they watery or furred.

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Please see attached:

*There is no one "right" answer here - I think it is up to the individual to do everything they can to make the transition for the fish (or any animal for that matter) as quick and painless as possible.

bird,invalid,argument,lolanimals,lolcats,mustache,nt-84f58fdcb4ea163236758303822cb555_h.jpg

dsaavedra

wild fish keeper
Dec 27, 2008
smashing the fish's head is really the only instant form of euthanization. nothing else causes death instantly.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I hear alka-seltzer tablets render the fish unconscious (to them it's like getting sleepy) and then you can take them out and cut off their head and they won't see anything after they become unconscious.

You can find the necessary number needed per gallon online.

IMHO, I believe this is far the most humane way as they do not encounter any stress.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
… However in all realism id take two 12gauge slugs to the tempels on intersecting vectors
:grinno:
"intersecting vectors" for a self-inflicted head shot?

LOL!

That would require two (or three done correctly) shots.
If you have ever seen a persons head after one shot from a 12gauge
you'd realize that there is nothing left to shoot.
The head is gone
Peeled back into nothing so there is no place for an intersecting shot(s)
even if done at the same time--which is nearly impossible anyway

BTW--I use the clove oil method and place them into the freezer. It is easier for me and for the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store