putting fish to sleep quick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
Funny, this isn't the first time I've seen an old thread dug up that was time sensitive.

Although, the debate on methods is still valuable. I've never personally had to put a fish down, but the clove oil method seems to be the best choice IMO. If I could choose how I go out, I would want to die in my sleep or while doing the 'grown-up', but that's another story.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Fish and reptiles are easy because they are not intelligent enough to consider their situation, only feel some pain and go into shock. It is the mammals that are difficult because they are intelligent it . People that aren't experienced having to put an intelligent animal down don't realize that 9 times out of 10 it is never becasue of the physical pain, it is almost always becasue they don't understand why they are dieing and become terribly panicked and mentally terrified as they become incapacitated.

When this happens because we decided to wait too long there are no drugs available and the vet takes only appointments days away. Until you have heard a real animal scream for fear of dieing (not Pain), you will know it is best to put them down as early as possible when death starts to tug at them.

At least with fish there are some home remedy alternatives becasue they are such a simple organism, so I just place mine in the freezer which happens slowly using warm aquarium water. No one here suggested placing fish in ice water.

DieselJunki

The Tomboy
Aug 20, 2009
USA
www.myspace.com
I've heard stories on the TV about people almost dieing from hypothermia and they said it was almost peaceful in a way.

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
Sadly today i saw one of my zebra danios that looked like it was injured somehow. It was bent a little bit and not able to stay afloat. Can anyone recommend a way to keep these fish from suffering before they die? Put them to sleep quicky and painlessly?

Thanks
how do you know it's suffering, how do you know it wont recover, how do you know it WANTS to die?

GMOB323

AC Members
Dec 13, 2009
This is a topic with a lot of contention… And im 100% sure im going to offend someone from this suggestion, and for that I am sorry to you. But IMHO I feel this suggestion is best…. It is NOT for the faint of heart, some would say its cruel, but from the perspective of the fish (isn’t that the creature we are concerned with, NOT the people who live on?) it is FAST, and 100% dead every time, no 1/2 kills, no suffering, and no 15 minutes of being frozen alive, drugged etc…
If you sole concern is having the fish not suffer then this is what I would do: put the fish in a glass, get a pair of boots with little to no tread. Go outside onto the concrete, pour the fish on the concrete and immediately stomp it.
The CNS (central nervous system) is destroyed immediately, if the neurons are spread out over your shoe then they can’t talk to one another, thus the fish ceases to be…
From the perspective of the fish, it was sitting in a cup looking at the world… then it was being poured, and while its gills are still wet suddenly it is no more…
NOW from the perspective of most people watching this, it may not be considered humane; but that IMO is because of the imagery involved, remember how the fish looks after the fact has no bearing on what the fish feels. It is simply the queasiness of the passerby, if you don’t see gore then it must be a good death….. Well if it was I who was being “euthanasied” I would much rather have it all over in a fraction of a second then a 25 minute routine of being drugged to death etc… Then again most people don’t like the idea of watching someone get shot in the head with a shotgun…. It looks yucky and make people vomit… but think of what the brain thinks while being drugged, frozen, electrocuted, etc…
IMO if you are going to do it, do it fast and with a lot of force….
:worthy::worthy: Where were you during my philosophy debate....wished i had seen this earlier:thumbsup:

Last edited:

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
how do you know it's suffering, how do you know it wont recover, how do you know it WANTS to die?
As a compassionate pet owner you make the best judgement you can. Letting every animal linger and die on it's own may be easier, but what makes you think it is better for the fish. The fish doesn't know about life and death, just whether it is suffering or not.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
In terms of freezing, the AVMA has the authorative science-based guidelines for humane euthasia, and does not count freezing as humane for fish.

haddaj04

AC Members
Sep 24, 2008
Orlando, FL
Real Name
Joe
I don't know why this is so hard for some people. Haven't most people killed fish accidentally by not having a cycled tank, overfeeding, torture from tankmates, incorrect water parameters, etc? I mean come on people this is a part of life and death, only speeding up death to keep the fish from suffering. No form of euthanasia is natural, animals don't kill other animals in the wild to prevent suffering; the weak usually don't get food or end up getting eaten. Just decide what you're comfortable with doing and do it, as long as it's relatively quick you're saving your fish from a few days of miserable suffering alive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store