Setup for Corydoras Eques (species only)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Hum. I wonder if exclamation rasboras look nice with kubotai rasbora. Woulld they school together ?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Hum. I wonder if exclamation rasboras look nice with kubotai rasbora. Woulld they school together ?
No clue, I think the kubos are way more hyperactive, so they may not group with them often. Kubos are awesome, I miss mine! Gorgeous little fish

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Thinking this is the nicest the tank has looked yet. Plants coming along well and bouncing back well.

All of the equipment is hidden or within the above-tank sump filter.

20210607_193103.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I love it!

Any breeding action yet? I'm ready for them to be even if they're not quite there... Such pretty fish in a lovely tank!
The boys chase the ladies and the ladies are really chunky, but they aren't convinced yet lol
I'll assume there won't be much action until maybe next fall as right now would be the start of the dry season for this species back in Brazil.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Although I never was full steam ahead in corys, I did have a few that spawned in my tanks. For the most part I had very little to do with it happening. However, i did discover that the tank with sterbai would spawn when I fed them live red wigglers. This was one of my only two brief experiences feeding live. I was mostly feeding the worms to angels, diicus and clown loaches. But I would try some of the smaller worms or I would cut others in half and drop some into that cory and pleco tanks. Almost without fail about a week layer sterbai eggs would appear on the glass etc. Of I did not pull them they got eaten either by the corys or else by the Montezuma swords in the tank.

You are way much better with corys than I ever was or could be, so take this for what it may be worth. Maybe a live feeding, would help push these gys over the edge? Somehow, I think you may be feeding live already based on the great results you get with almost anything in any tank you have.

p.s. Let me know when I can mail you some Rooibos.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Although I never was full steam ahead in corys, I did have a few that spawned in my tanks. For the most part I had very little to do with it happening. However, i did discover that the tank with sterbai would spawn when I fed them live red wigglers. This was one of my only two brief experiences feeding live. I was mostly feeding the worms to angels, diicus and clown loaches. But I would try some of the smaller worms or I would cut others in half and drop some into that cory and pleco tanks. Almost without fail about a week layer sterbai eggs would appear on the glass etc. Of I did not pull them they got eaten either by the corys or else by the Montezuma swords in the tank.

You are way much better with corys than I ever was or could be, so take this for what it may be worth. Maybe a live feeding, would help push these gys over the edge? Somehow, I think you may be feeding live already based on the great results you get with almost anything in any tank you have.

p.s. Let me know when I can mail you some Rooibos.
I do offer live chopped earthworm and mealworms :)

But I also offer a variety of everything, but most of my feeding regiments are bottom feeder oriented. So upper levels tend to have to adapt and most have. Very few of my fish go to the surface for the food, they follow the cories as they know when the cories go for food.

Actually given that I've got some blind fish, that's how they find food too. They can feel the cories going nuts in the water so they start nosing around the sand looking for food too. Like seeing eye fish lol

But I feed:
Live mealworms (chopped or mushed)
Live earth worms (chopped, as a treat)
OmegaOne Flakes
OmegaOne frozen goodies
Northfin Carnivore pellets (meant as feed for large carnivore monster fish, but I'll use one pellet like you would an algae wafer)
Fluval Bug Bites
Vitalis Catfish Pellets
Northfin Betta Bits
OmegaOne Shrimp Pellets
Hikari Vibrabites (a treat)
Once a month they get freeze dried tubifex or blackworms depending what I have on hand
Once a blue moon a small smidgen of frozen shrimp or smelt grated into small bite sized bits.
Midge larvae as they find in their tanks
Treats are an algae wafer or pleco Bug bite pellets, but not a main diet.
I do offer my goldfish and livebearers spirulina Flakes, occasionally give these to the bamboo shrimp and the cories steal it too.

I rotate what I feed, no set schedule but always frozen goods once or twice a week unless I'm conditioning and then I just offer as much as they'd eat every day lol.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have only 2 issues with your feeding Noodle (it's mostly really great!)...& that's with the mealworms & tubifex. MWs, too much indigestible chitin, like fiber overload...tubifex live in sewage & all that possible disease ridden broth...Eww! I'm not a tubifex fan in any form...especially FD.

I agree, many different foods are a key to happy fish! I know you have great breeding successes & I apreciate that, but those are 2 foods I won't ever offer again. I admit to never grating smelt, lol. But I did used to make beefheart & a seafood mix for my spoiled discus juvies :D , my loaches liked them sometimes too as a treat. Dang, we know how to spoil our fish!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I have only 2 issues with your feeding Noodle (it's mostly really great!)...& that's with the mealworms & tubifex. MWs, too much indigestible chitin, like fiber overload...tubifex live in sewage & all that possible disease ridden broth...Eww! I'm not a tubifex fan in any form...especially FD.

I agree, many different foods are a key to happy fish! I know you have great breeding successes & I apreciate that, but those are 2 foods I won't ever offer again. I admit to never grating smelt, lol. But I did used to make beefheart & a seafood mix for my spoiled discus juvies :D , my loaches liked them sometimes too as a treat. Dang, we know how to spoil our fish!
Hence why it's a treat. Not often. I know there's some particularly reputable names in the corydoras world who feed tubifex even live.

I do have a trick with the mealworms. Don't feed the shells. Squish them or you use freshly molted ones that are super soft still and chop super small. Basically are eating the soft insides not the skin.

Loaches go bananas for the mealworm pulp lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store