Setup for Corydoras Eques (species only)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
My go to for spawning bottom feeding meat lovers is the Repashy Spawn & Grow. It is what I used to get the WC 173 going. I usually mix it with about 20% Soilent Green to get the little Hypans their needed veggies.

I am also big on frozen. It is my closest answer to live. My list includes Brine Shrimp, Brine Shrimp gut loaded with spirulina. Mysis Shrimp in two sizes, Blood Worms in two sizes, Daphnia, Cyclops, Rotifers, BBS. My favorite fry food used to be Cyclop-eeze until the lake crashed and company folded :(

My clown loaches shred The Repashy Igapo Explorer which Dr. Tanner formulated: "Our formula for all Rainforest Species. Contains Invertebrates, Nuts, Fruits, Seeds, Legumes, Herbs and Greens."

Just as an intersting aside. At the 2019 NEC weekend they had breeders roundtable. A panel of well know breeders took audience questions. One of the panelists was Rosario laCorte. a legend in fishkeeping. One of the questions for the panel was what was their favorite food to condition fish. I expected to hear the standard answers- blood worms, black worms. cyclops. The biggest surprise was Rosario when he answered- tubifex. He recounted collecting from ditches and getting them clean and safe for the fish.
((If you are not familiar with Rosario, you can see a bio of him here if your scroll down a bit http://www.njas.net/speakers.html )

Because of this I ordered a couple of frozen tubifex slabs. Most of my fish eat them fine except the Altums. They refuse to eat them.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I remember squishing mealworms guts out when I did bird rehab, all I can say is yuck! Right up there with skinning rodents (bleck!) Both were time consuming & a bit too gross lol.

I know people feed tubifex without apparent issues but back in the "olden days" we noticed a definate relationship between tubifex & fish disease. ..I just don't & won't, not worth the risks vs benefits to me (shrug) lots of better safer foods...black worms & white worms for live. I'm not much of a fan of any freeze dried foods...unless mixed into something that sinks.

Yeah, TTA, I see the need to make tubifex "clean & safe for fish"...

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I do not use freeze dried. I use frozen.

Rosario is a breeding legend. He is at the start of it all in the modern era. If you read the bio you will see he got out of the army about the time I turned 3 years old.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Got a bunch of plants off a local, so added lots more vals to the tank.
The hydrocotyle leucocephala never stops growing.
My swords putting out good growth too.

20210615_221746.jpg

Reactions: dudley

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Barely a week of difference, plants putting out good growth. Especially my yellow sun echinodorus. Love how the new leaves are red, but then fade to pink and then to a nice soft gold-green. What a lovely variety of sword plant.
20210620_201124.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I picked up more plants, some green cabomba behind the pennywort, and a new ozelot sword (behind the yellow sun sword)
20210627_204330.jpg

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I picked up more plants, some green cabomba behind the pennywort, and a new ozelot sword (behind the yellow sun sword)
View attachment 230063
What is the round leafed plant in the center, mid-level? Right below the val that is trailing across the top?

Anyways, nice tank!

WYite

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
What is the round leafed plant in the center, mid-level? Right below the val that is trailing across the top?

Anyways, nice tank!

WYite
Not 100% if you mean the swords or the hydrocotyle...

Plants in this tank:
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Echinodorus yellow sun
Echinodorus red oxelot x2
Vallisneria americana
Cabomba caroliniana
Frogbit
Lettuce

Reactions: Wyomingite
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com