Some pictures

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
TY, I tried counting but I had trouble, good trouble! There always some "attrition" (fry loss). Nice the dad put in an appearance. Mama is looking after the fry & dad is looking at the camera...fill in a snide sexist remarks...lol.

20-30 fry is a pretty good batch, for new breeders especially. Will you make efforts to rescue those little fry or wait on a larger spawn next time? No shame either way, we & our fish do the best we can when we can.

You might want to remove the male if you have a place for him...they tend to get bored with fry care long before females do...That's my experience with most cichlids. But the female will be ready to again breed in 2-4 weeks.

What's your plan for fry? Grow out or possible snacks?

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
They should be fine with the parents - i'll feed them for 2 more weeks. My hope is 10 or so will make it - if so they will get put in a 4x4 eventually. I have no place to put the male; he doesn't do much with regards to fry care and he doesn't seem to go after them for snacks - every now and then the female will head butt him to push him away she doesn't attack him. There is one 1/4 inch fry from a 3 or 4 months ago (they are very slow growers) and a 2nd female - they both hide when she has frys.

I hope to setup a colony in the 4x4 with some cupid when i move in approx 8 weeks - the frys will remain in the 10 if they make it due to small size and i'll pick up a couple of more adults from the store to mix the genetics. This species appear to be more or less pair forming which is good cause the female doesn't attack the male and he doesn't eat the frys... To be honest he doesn't seem to do much - in theory he should be protecting hte territory but when he saw a Pangio shelfordii this morning (think mini kuhli loach); he just nosed it then ignored it.... go figures....

TY, I tried counting but I had trouble, good trouble! There always some "attrition" (fry loss). Nice the dad put in an appearance. Mama is looking after the fry & dad is looking at the camera...fill in a snide sexist remarks...lol.

20-30 fry is a pretty good batch, for new breeders especially. Will you make efforts to rescue those little fry or wait on a larger spawn next time? No shame either way, we & our fish do the best we can when we can.

You might want to remove the male if you have a place for him...they tend to get bored with fry care long before females do...That's my experience with most cichlids. But the female will be ready to again breed in 2-4 weeks.

What's your plan for fry? Grow out or possible snacks?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I keep forgetting you're moving very soon. Sorry, that changes things of course. I'll try harder to remember...But sending you many happy moving thoughts. It a PITA always. Across town or coast to coast. I moved fish across town but chickened out on the east to west long distance move. We had only partial success with an 11+ hour drive with a few of our favorite fish.

Smooth moving vibes!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Update of my 10; it has changed radically from an above picture. The snail at the pearl weed (it is still there but in the hornworth near the top). Hard to see but the stuff in the hornworth are shrimps and frys (now larger):

10g_22_apr_2023.jpg

If you go to post #37 (https://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/some-pictures.292246/post-2991621) you can see what it looked like back in Oct to see how it has changed the last 8 months and how much larger the crypts have gotten on the left. Things do grow it just takes time and the frys are so adorable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store