Some pictures

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Yes, I remember earlier days! As always, looking good! But with a whole lot more hornwort now, very lush!
Yea I added a *little* hornworth when the snail ate most of the pearl weed; unfortunately as always a little quickly turned into a lot.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think I've grown "pearlweed" a few times now but I think it was called HM (hemianthus micranthemoides, afaik...This is why I hate common names sometimes. At least with latin names you'll be closer to what they're called lately, lol.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I think I've grown "pearlweed" a few times now but I think it was called HM (hemianthus micranthemoides, afaik...This is why I hate common names sometimes. At least with latin names you'll be closer to what they're called lately, lol.
Well in this case it was given to me as 'pearlweed' and the person who gave it has no clue what it is other than that name; having said that I'm finding more and more that scientific names are frequently changing (esp with dwarf cichild) where things are reclassified multiple time over a relatively short period of time.

I will also note that unless you have a resource in front of you - it is a lot easier to remember and spell 'pearlweed' than hemianthus what'cha call it - which is probably why it has a common name. This doesn't distract from what you said but i have no clue if the plant i had is actually pearl weed or some variant of a similar plant - i just know what the fellow who gave it to me called it. Now I will note someone gave me Anacharis but called it guppy grass; fortunately i was familiar with both plants so i recognize it for what it was....

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
HM is a much shorter name than pearlweed ;). There is a oldish plant club member who continues to call it pearlweed even though he knows better, lol.

Guppy grass is not even close to anacharis. Well, maybe if happy, they can both grow like crazy!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
HM is a much shorter name than pearlweed ;). There is a oldish plant club member who continues to call it pearlweed even though he knows better, lol.

Guppy grass is not even close to anacharis. Well, maybe if happy, they can both grow like crazy!
Of course guppy grass is not close; but the sender thought it was and i knew better as I noted above. HM. Isn't that a clothing store ?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Might be a "kids" clothing store, lol.

Isn't there another plant that's similar to HM? I can't remember the genus...starts with M I think...Oh, a quick goolgle & it's the same as HM. Micranthemum micranthemoides, all this time I thought they were different, huh.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Might be a "kids" clothing store, lol.

Isn't there another plant that's similar to HM? I can't remember the genus...starts with M I think...Oh, a quick goolgle & it's the same as HM. Micranthemum micranthemoides, all this time I thought they were different, huh.
I have no clue - i never buy pearl weed; my goto plant is hornworth since i know how ot grow it; having said it i do admit that pearl weed is 'softer' and that might be beneficial for some fishes - certainly my snail which never touches horn worth will munch pearl weed....

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
H+M, Adult clothing store..
hm.com

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
HM = a plant, MM also a nice plant (maybe the same 1?). HC = also a plant, but much more needy (co2 & ferts? Probably).

H+M cheap clothing "fast fashion" for very young adults (not us more "mature adults" are apt to buy, lol). I think that about covers it all...for me now anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store