South American Paludarium Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Been awhile since last update.
Been out of commission for the last couple weeks since I got an infection in a cat scratch (a tiny little one too!) that spread to all my major joints and I've been in a lot of pain so hadn't been able to do much for maintenance other than a drain and fill once a week and dropping food for them.

But im back on my feet again, finally able to keep the pain down with just ibuprofen, so can get back kicking.

If the cories can stop digging the plants out, that'd be awesome. Some struggles there.
20220430_223151.jpg

I moved the rams out, weren't getting on well with the cories here so moved them back to my anubias 55g. I did move my brochis splendens and corydoras loxozonus in here though, so now houses 3 cory species and they're getting on fantastically.

The ornate tetras were the right choice I think, I'm just so smitten with them. They're a touch fiery, but not physically damaging of themselves or other fish. They liven up the tetra group as well.
20220501_220028.jpg
20220430_205438.jpg
20220427_195424.jpg
20220427_200132.jpg
20220427_195716.jpg
20220427_195910.jpg

So stock now sits:
8 corydoras eques
5 brochis splendens
6 corydoras loxozonus
6 lemon tetras
6 ornate tetras
9 ember tetras

I've found a nice balance of variety and activity and I find that this tank has really started coming to life, as long as the cories will let the dang plants be so they can root themselves properly lol

Reactions: Lalo J. and dudley

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I'm so sorry for your cat scratch illness and hope you make a full recovery.

Fish are looking great!

• Love
Reactions: NoodleCats

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I'm sorry you got so ill from a "minor wound". Glad you're on the mend!

Great fish pics as always. Your loxozonus look better than mine ever did, such high dark initial dorsal rays! I'll pretend you're a better photographer with better lighting, but I don't think that's the all of it, lol.

All your fish look wonderful, TY for the update

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Oh, I'm sorry you got so ill from a "minor wound". Glad you're on the mend!

Great fish pics as always. Your loxozonus look better than mine ever did, such high dark initial dorsal rays! I'll pretend you're a better photographer with better lighting, but I don't think that's the all of it, lol.

All your fish look wonderful, TY for the update
I was told younger fish keep the taller dorsal but it recedes as they mature. That said, mine are two years old (I got them as juvies in 2020) and still are small fish and kept the taller dorsal. ?‍♀

The loxozonus are my second favourite species of what cories I keep, I love them. Actually have one tattooed on my hand lol

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Oh, maybe that's it. Mine were all adults when I got them. Yes, I've seen your loxo ink, cute!
Another possibility is them being a similar species that tends to get larger and higher-backed. CW125

I've seen these in person, theyre like the hulk compared to loxozonus which can be dainty little things

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Mine were more just "average" cory size maybe 2-2.5 inches or a bit. Yours might be CW125, mine were not, but I don't recall the "common name" they were sold under (maybe loxo?). Just a far shopping trip to 2 different shops to get 5 of them. I used to love fish road trips once in a while, lol. I had a lot more tanks then, so I had more options for impulse buys. I even had an emergency Q tank I could set up in 10 minutes or so if I came home with fish. Not anymore...

Maybe since yours were juveniles they haven't quite hit their eventual adult size? 2 years isn't all that long in "happy fish years". Some fish grow fast, some slower. I dunno...maybe time will tell. They are certainly handsome!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Mine were more just "average" cory size maybe 2-2.5 inches or a bit. Yours might be CW125, mine were not, but I don't recall the "common name" they were sold under (maybe loxo?). Just a far shopping trip to 2 different shops to get 5 of them. I used to love fish road trips once in a while, lol. I had a lot more tanks then, so I had more options for impulse buys. I even had an emergency Q tank I could set up in 10 minutes or so if I came home with fish. Not anymore...

Maybe since yours were juveniles they haven't quite hit their eventual adult size? 2 years isn't all that long in "happy fish years". Some fish grow fast, some slower. I dunno...maybe time will tell. They are certainly handsome!
Nah mine are loxozonus. CW125 is taller in the body frame too.

Loxozonus are sometimes called slant bar cories, have also seen them called dirty bandit cories too. I just stick with the scientific name because it's more precise.

Generally I've found smaller cories reach close to adult size around 18-24 months old, but never know. These are tank raised fish too, so genetics could also play a part in a smaller size. Planet cat states 1.9" for loxozonus, which it thats the case, mine are right on par with that.

The small size though adds to their charm, add the fact that these guys really like to stick together, they're just adorable.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Adjusted the plumbing in the tank, got tired of seeing the tube.

20220503_204414.jpg20220503_2044df14.jpg

The eternal struggle with the plants
Untitled - Sequence 01 51_2.gif

Love watching the ornate tetras display.
Untitled - Sequence 01 47_1.gif

Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store