Stocking advice for a planted 92 corner tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
looking really good, man....what's the current stock?

Where's al the cichlids? :p :trollface:
There are 2 clown plecos, 19 assorted Corys (albino, metae, panda, false Julii, palateus), and 58 neons. For now. Might get some marbled hatchets and more neons tomorrow, depending on what the small shop in town has. I'd like to plant some swords too.

The cichlids are at the LFS. If it turns out that I can't keep inverts alive, I'll probably get a pair of Kribs.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
There are 2 clown plecos, 19 assorted Corys (albino, metae, panda, false Julii, palateus), and 58 neons. For now. Might get some marbled hatchets and more neons tomorrow, depending on what the small shop in town has. I'd like to plant some swords too.

The cichlids are at the LFS. If it turns out that I can't keep inverts alive, I'll probably get a pair of Kribs.
Kribs would be good....mine just had a clutch this past weekend, 1st time breeding this particular species for me. Mikrogeophagus and Apistogramma would definitely be more colorful and stay on the smaller side.

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
Kribs would be good....mine just had a clutch this past weekend, 1st time breeding this particular species for me. Mikrogeophagus and Apistogramma would definitely be more colorful and stay on the smaller side.
My concern would be having enough room for everyone on the ground if/when they bred and got territorial.

Reactions: fishorama

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
Ok, so the things that I want to do this weekend include adding more/better mechanical filtration and add some black sand to darken the substrate some. I need to replace the nonwoven filter pad in my drip tray with a sheet of sponge and I bought a pond filter to put my return pump in, since there is definitely room for it in the sump. I think darkening the substrate will help the color in the tank some. The white PFS with lights that look greenish and tannins in the water are not a good combo. It might make the pictures look better too.

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
Picked up 6 silver hatchets, another 20 small neons and a nice sized sword. Started moving plants around and realized that I don't know what I want to do with them. Any suggestions for the plants on the ground?

IMG_20170331_184319.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Whew, relax man! It's a work in progress! Let things (plants & fish) grow in a bit.

What is making lighting look so yellowy-green...or is it just the pics?

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
Whew, relax man! It's a work in progress! Let things (plants & fish) grow in a bit.

What is making lighting look so yellowy-green...or is it just the pics?
In person, it isn't so yellow green. My camera has problems with the contrast. The same thing happens when I take pictures at work; the blue lab paper that is on my bench top makes my camera buggy too. My light is a Beamswork, so it has a little green tint to it. Couple that with having one rectangular light on a weird quarter cylinder, the PFS substrate and the tannins in the water and you have the recipe for ugly pics. I hope to mix some black sand in to darken the substrate this weekend.

I am not worried about the layout a ton. I really like the moss and crystalwort. I have a crypt under the sword now, and it probably won't do well there. The Vals are sitting in a corner where the flow comes down and are being laid down by it and not standing up, so I'd like to move them too. I feel like I need another light to get things evened out a bit. Maybe a couple floods (the 2 I had are on the kids' goldfish tank now). They were a little underpowered anyway. Eventually I will build a good for this to hide the lights and stop the light bleed. I'll have to diy that though, because of the weird geometry of the tank.

At some point once I get the plant layout figured out some, I will have to break out the hose and drain the display tank down to work on it, because it is too hard to do with a big grabber. That will likely take a couple of hours, which is a lot of uninterrupted time with 3 little kids running around.

So, long story short, I am not super worried about it. I am just a technical person that needs someone with a better design eye to give suggestions on where stuff should go.

Last edited:

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
In person, it isn't so yellow green. My camera has problems with the contrast. The same thing happens when I take pictures at work; the blue lab paper that is on my bench top makes my camera buggy too. My light is a Beamswork, so it has a little green tint to it. Couple that with having one rectangular light on a weird quarter cylinder, the PFS substrate and the tannins in the water and you have the recipe for ugly pics. I hope to mix some black sand in to darken the substrate this weekend.

I am not worried about the layout a ton. I really like the moss and crystalwort. I have a crypt under the sword now, and it probably won't do well there. The Vals are sitting in a corner where the flow comes down and are being laid down by it and not standing up, so I'd like to move them too. I feel like I need another light to get things evened out a bit. Maybe a couple floods (the 2 I had are on the kids' goldfish tank now). They were a little underpowered anyway. Eventually I will build a good for this to hide the lights and stop the light bleed. I'll have to diy that though, because of the weird geometry of the tank.

At some point once I get the plant layout figured out some, I will have to break out the hose and drain the display tank down to work on it, because it is too hard to do with a big grabber. That will likely take a couple of hours, which is a lot of uninterrupted time with 3 little kids running around.

So, long story short, I am not super worried about it. I am just a technical person that needs someone with a better design eye to give suggestions on where stuff should go.
I think it looks fine. The plants and décor should be concentrated towards the back while the front should appear more barren and open for observation. Why you torturing yourself? lol

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
I think it looks fine. The plants and décor should be concentrated towards the back while the front should appear more barren and open for observation. Why you torturing yourself? lol
I'm not tortured, I just want it to look better. The approach is a bit different when you aren't using a traditional rectangular box of water.

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
One of my anubias like to travel. This is the second time it has come loose. At least it took a snail with it to clean up the diatoms.

IMG_20170402_091626.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store