SUNSUN HW-302 Outside Filter setup & test

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Not yet. The canister has been siting on the floor glancing at me and me at it every time I pass by my 80 stand. Im still processing the filter re-arrangements I need to make to fit the SUNSUN into service most effectively.

Also modifications I want for the in-flow and out-flow fittings at the end of the hoses that hang on the tank. I don't like the 3/4" hose to 1/2" neck-down fittings that they use and also that inside the tank they are not water tight.

So I need to get off my butt and into my lawn tubing cabinet and make up some 5/8" replacement fittings that bigger and also water tight so that air will not leak in disrupting siphon during water changes when the water level drops by 1/3.

Im probubly going to place it on my Goldie tank as augmentation to get it established with bacteria and then use it to set my mom up with a large tank and filter that I can service when I visit her as she is 82 but would love to have a Koi tank.

As far as performance the test I posted was really proof enough for me that it will perform. But as soon as I start using it in earnest Ill post my thoughts and opinion. But Im pretty confident by the test I performed, what I see in its large format capacity, simple & tight non-bypass design, and what others who actually use it have posted that this is bargain buy at $43 with comparable performance to similar name brand filters for $$$ more. And its been made clear to me by the sellers that part availability and CS for this model line which has been around for years is not going away anytime soon.

Last edited:

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I just got mine and am getting ready to hook it up as is to see how it works. I will do some minor mods later if I feel it needs it. I am pulling my MAG 350 off and putting this in its place because the mag is too loud for me so I should get an idea how it works on my 4 foot 120 fairly soon I hope :)

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I am pulling my MAG 350 off and putting this in its place because the mag is too loud for me so I should get an idea how it works on my 4 foot 120 fairly soon I hope :)
WHAT! Replace the Mag 350! Heresy! OooH where did I go wrong :headshake2:....
Just kidding, Hay if it help you sleep better at night don't let anything get in the way of your restfulness. Personally with all the other watery noises my tanks make Id be lucky if I could pick out the noise of a cricket behind my tank LOL. But then I wouldn't have it any other way as babbling aqua tanks are all lullaby music to my ears.

Whenever I stop to stare and listen, I can hardly keep my eye open LOL.

Oh yeah, please post and photo your reviews on the canister, Id love to hear what you have to say.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
Well I got it running at about 5pm today and I like it so far. I had plenty of room in the trays to fill with media, those trays are tight so I cant see much bypass at all if any. I did have to raise the intake tube so the surface skimmer would work but that was a simple fix and it seems to be doing a decent job. I have the 302 rated for 100 gallons but I dont think I would use it alone on more than 75 gallons so I am keeping my Fluval 305 on line with it untill I get another one :D. I had no problems setting it up at all and talk about quiet this thing is dead silent. I am going to shorten the spray bar to see if I can get stronger flow. I hope you will post the mods you do to yours GUNNER because I might try the same with mine. I am very happy with it now but will have to see after its been running for some time.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I have the 302 rated for 100 gallons but I dont think I would use it alone on more than 75 gallons so I am keeping my Fluval 305 on line with it untill I get another one :D.
What are you going to do with your Mag 350, if your looking for a perfect operating Fluval 404 with 405 upgrades (same thing) Ill trade you for the Mag 350. You would have one of two to choose from. I even have the original spray bar that I have never used. Both have been cleaned and lubed, one is an older model with the simple clamp down and the other is the newer model with the clamps that have a cog and clamp up. But both work great as intended never had a problem with either other then then the fact that they don't appeal to me, your choice for the Mag 350.

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Im in the market for a canister filter and i think this SUNSUN filter might be it. either that or a HOT 250 or Mag 350.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
Im in the market for a canister filter and i think this SUNSUN filter might be it. either that or a HOT 250 or Mag 350.
What size tank are you putting it on, your 36 BF??? I would go with the SunSun mainly because of the amount of filter media you can put in it and the price oh and like I said its dead silent IMO.

Izzy2

AC Members
Jun 22, 2006
King of Prussia, PA
Real Name
Bob
Hello Archer, what kind of noise is your 350 making? I've got two under a 46bow that are silent, unless the one with micron need changing. Have you tried to take the base apart and put oil onto the shaft that the bottom is covering?

The older 220 and 330 are noisy. The magnet slips alot when they get semi-full, especially if you use a micro filter. The 350's revised guts ( magnet / motor ) where a major improvement. I got four of the older ones. Two in service and two for parts on 20g high tanks. They will be replaced with hot 250 when they expire.

I got one of the Odyssea 4's back when I first out - $44 shipped from ebay. It lasted over 5 years before it developed a bad seal around the intake on the head. My only complaint was the primer locked up early in the second year. The baskets were spacious and it was simple to maintain.

My dynaflow 150 was expensive but innovative back in '85. Filter technology should be down pat by now. I'm hoping the Sunsun may be a worthy contender at this price point. I like my magnums and fluvals, but cannot always find cheap used ones when needed.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I made a mistake on the Magnum its not a 350 its a 330. I can run the motor alone and its silent but when I put the canister on it gets LOUD. I am going to mess with it some and see if I can get it to quiet down some, the impeller and magnet seem to be fine. I had it running fairly quiet for a while but then it started to get loud after about 2 weeks. I took it down and cleaned it, I didnt have the rite sleaves for it so I just used one for the HOT Magnum so maybe that was the whole problem. I might put it back on or just use it to polish the water or for running carbon if needed. I plan on ordering another SunSun and run them both on my 120.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
If its that old its a testimony to how ell they are made. You need to examine the impeller/magnet/shaft relationship as they are probubly worn out and need replacement. Whether or not the the 350 impeller assembly will fit I don't know, what I do know is that there are no 330 impeller assemblies readily available and why I wont buy one.

Ok belay my last on the swap deal, Ill be posting them on ebay anyway. Anyone else out there though that has an great shape Mag 350 and would like to swap for a great working Fluval 404 let me know so we can work something out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store