Tank Mates for Angelfish in a 55 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cockwheat

AC Members
Oct 9, 2020
Hello all! First time posting here so I hope everything is formatted correctly. I currently have 2 large Veiled Angelfish (no idea if they are a spawning pair, I got them a year or so ago when I was just getting into bigger tanks but they have never showed any aggression towards one another, just very very rarely chasing each other around) and a Raphael Striped Catfish, who is about 5" long. They used to have a dwarf gourami as a tank mate, but he passed about a month and a half/two months ago. After monitoring for any disease/issues since his death and seeing nothing, I've been beginning to think about possible tank mates. I've been seeking advice across a few forums because I really don't trust myself when it comes to stocking and most of the advice I've gotten so far is a bit too general for me to work with. The only suggestion I've gotten so far I really like is a pair of Blue German Rams, and people have said they would do well with other small schooling fish as well such as rummynose tetras, platies, and things of the like. I am just curious to hear what others think would work in this setup. I've had cory catfish and sterbai suggested for bottom dwellers as well, but that just raises concerns with me as to whether my Catfish would bother them. I never see my guy move and I know they're mostly docile, but I've heard many people report them eating fish under an inch as a snack. The tank is 4 feet long, a foot deep, and two feet tall, give or take a few inches with each measurement, I'm not home to get exact numbers at the moment. I'm open to all suggestions and advice!

cockwheat

AC Members
Oct 9, 2020
Yes, you get small schooling fish you can slowly watch them disappear. I had angels that would grab Zebra Danios. I would go with larger tetras, congo, black skirt, or even Bleeding hearts.
Thank you for the advice! I was originally very wary on small schooling fish for that exact reason but so many people were saying they'd work I began to doubt myself... Now, I've seen several people tell me to avoid tetras all together in this set up while others have told me to avoid them completely, glad to know I have another vouching for them.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I kept Black Neon Tetras with my angels. Black neons grow to 2”. Harlequin Rasboras, giant danios, leopard danios, corydoras, platys, swordtails, or dwarf neon rainbow fish are other good choices. I would also say Cardinal Tetras but they can be a but iffy. All new fish should be quarantined before being added to the main tank.

Reactions: cockwheat

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Some lemon tetras or similar deep bodied tetras (but not nippy serpae). Diamond tetras are larger & have a nice sparkly scales. I've never kept them but know people who have with angels. Your raphael will hunt after lights out & may pick off any sleeping narrow bodied fish the angels don't get in the day but those cats have fairly small mouths.

We had a striped raphael we were given & only saw it after lights out, we were disappointed...Do you see yours much? We had to feed some after dark to make sure it got food...

Rams can be ok if the have a couple hiding places (separate from the cat's). I love a group of corys with angels but not with the rams & raph. I also love loaches if you aren't going for a SA tank. Striata loaches (zebras) are very cute but, again instead of rams or corys.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Theres some gorgeous options for you out there.
Id look into the larger tetras too.

The Columbian tetra would be a fantastic option with angels. Its larger, not too nippy, and can take the same temperature range as angels do

cockwheat

AC Members
Oct 9, 2020
Some lemon tetras or similar deep bodied tetras (but not nippy serpae). Diamond tetras are larger & have a nice sparkly scales. I've never kept them but know people who have with angels. Your raphael will hunt after lights out & may pick off any sleeping narrow bodied fish the angels don't get in the day but those cats have fairly small mouths.

We had a striped raphael we were given & only saw it after lights out, we were disappointed...Do you see yours much? We had to feed some after dark to make sure it got food...

Rams can be ok if the have a couple hiding places (separate from the cat's). I love a group of corys with angels but not with the rams & raph. I also love loaches if you aren't going for a SA tank. Striata loaches (zebras) are very cute but, again instead of rams or corys.
I never see my Raph, hes always hiding during the day and I always feed him after lights out. I've never seen him feed but his food is always gone by morning and he's always looked very healthy! Thanks for the advice!

cockwheat

AC Members
Oct 9, 2020
I'm definitely leaning towards either a larger tetra or platys, I'm gonna check what my LFS stock looks like!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store