Tarantulas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
man, does bottom right have enought substrate, what does he use all that for
There three kinds of t's: arboreal, terrestrial and subterranean. The one that you are looking at is a skeleton and they like to burrow in the substrate. She hasn't done it yet this week, because last week we had to dig her up. Hubby decided to give a live pinkie mouse as a treat and we ended up losing two out of four t's that we feed them to. We believe that the pinkies or their bedding were treated with mites/flea spray. As you can guess toxic to spiders. Some of the tarantulas have intricate tunnels.
this one you can see the tunnels.

The last picture is an arboreal species, it is a P. regalis

PIC00200.JPG PIC00201.JPG

Last edited:

black_sun

I'm a crayfish in disguise...
Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
I detest spiders (an irrational fear really)... but they really look kind of interesting in those pictures. I almost (emphasis on "almost") want to touch/hold one now. The big one being held and the last one are rather beautiful in coloration.

GuiltyPleasures

AC Members
All my life I've had a huge fear of spiders, and almost couldn't even look at pictures of them, but have gotten better over the years. Last year my teenage son wanted to buy a tarantula and I broke down and let him. He got a rose hair which I've been told and have read is one of the most docile of them. I actually think it's kind of pretty and even let him put it on my arm and my hand. It's like having a cotton ball on me, so light :) So now I'm becoming more tolarent to other spiders in my house and even a few outside, except for this huge huge freakishly ugly thing that's on a web on my back deck, that one I can't even stand to look at as it gives me the creepy crawlers lol
Oh and since I have a lot of fish tanks and fish, I do catch some small house spiders and feed them to my fish along with other bugs so I'm getting a lot better about being not so squimish now :)

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
This is where they reside on any other day except for feeding day. In this book case there are 15 tarantulas. The rest are on another bookcase. Each cage is different depending on the needs of the spider. The one in the tall jar is arboreal, so it needs very little substrate but it needs height. The tarantula in the jar is one of the tarantulas that my husband doesn't handle. It is a pokey. They tend to be really quick, but more important if they do bite you, it is a one of the spiders that you may need to seek medical attention. Mostly for an antihistamine shoot.

I agree that the best way to over come your fear is to face them. That is what I have done. I work at a pet store and I have to say that I didn't like rats, snakes and of course spiders. Once I faced that fear it was a lot better. Our collection all started with a rose.

Bookcase With 15 Tarantulas.JPG

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
I understand. It took me awhile before I handled one. A lot people never even touch or hold their spiders, and the spiders are okay with that. My husband has one that he can flip over on it's back, but then he has one that is defensive in her cage but once you get her out then she very calm.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
yeah, i guess it's no different than my fish tank collection, the containers are just smaller and don't need to be filtered so you can get more of them. very interesting. also just fyi hubby is standing behind me asking if he can have some too....aarrggh!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store