the Craigslist 55g Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
sorry folks. I've slacked off with the updates.

It's no where near scaped yet and it's just a mess of plants floating around. I'll try really hard to grab a shot tomorrow.

If I remember to :D.

AquaGem

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Kzoo Michigan
Real Name
Tori
this is really off topic but your dog sounds like suck a diva :) so is my cat lol very picky about her food and treats

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
this is really off topic but your dog sounds like suck a diva :) so is my cat lol very picky about her food and treats
He has 'tude but we all love him to death. He's a perfect fit into our family. Lazy most of the time but energetic when he needs to be. Stubborn too. Won't listen to us half of the time. I think he's just testing us to see how far he can push us before we collar him.

AquaGem

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Kzoo Michigan
Real Name
Tori
He has 'tude but we all love him to death. He's a perfect fit into our family. Lazy most of the time but energetic when he needs to be. Stubborn too. Won't listen to us half of the time. I think he's just testing us to see how far he can push us before we collar him.
That sounds like my kitten. The other night I was reading and she comes right over and plops down on my chest, right in front of the book! I was like "Come on, I wanted to cuddle you earlier and now when I'm reading?" Luckily she moved to my feet soon after. She doesn't listen to me either. I wonder if she even knows her name

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
everything is go

1/18/09
In the midst of a cold/hay fever/whatever the hell is making me sick, at last, I am done, for the time being. I don't know how it looks but I'm happy with it for now.

Stocking:
I've upped the schools/shoals to:
- 22 ember tetras (from 10)
- 15 black neon tetras (from 7): Might have went overboard with these guys. They're still skittish, even in a bigger group.
- 8 peppered cory (from 4): The new guys might be WC; darker color with more metallics.
and added one new species:
- 5 Apistogramma borellii (courtesy of MG): Really good at hiding, even with food out. I'm pretty sure there're still 5 in there.

-1 false julii cory (from 2; RIP to the one who passed away): If I manage to find more of these guys, I want get a few more. The last one has been hanging out with the peppered.

Overall, no real disasters moving over to the 55gal, except for the mysterious cory injury/death. I lost 2 black neons in quarantine, so it might have been 17 had they not died.

Scaping: Time consuming. So many plants, so little space after driftwood. So many different kinds of plants too. You might think I'm slow or something but I like scaping with a tank full of water. I guess I don't mind being up to my elbow in water. And it gives me space to work with since the plants can float higher.

Equipment: All equipment up and running. No pressurized CO2 yet. I don't think the heaters (Ebo Jager and Visi-Therm Stealth) are quite syncronized but oh well. Most difficult part was getting the 205 up and running. I couldn't find hoses that worked. What I ended up doing was using about a foot of the corrugated stuff for the intake and outlet to work with the rim holders, then connecting them to the 5/8" ID vinyl hose to the filter. I put the vinyl hoses in hot water then slid the corrugated hose into them. Siliconed it just in case. Since the hoses are behind the tank, they should be safe from most incidents.

I did my first water change yesterday using my DIY python. It was so much easier and faster than doing it with buckets. And cheaper then buying one.

I plan on dosing ferts using EI.

Remind me to take a photo once in a while to check up on the progress of the tank. I'll try to take one every Friday.

Last edited:

AntGod

AC Members
Jan 9, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Wow, that is drop dead gorgeous! Very Inspiring.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA

Doesn't look like it changed very much. I cleaned up some of the clado and moss from the wood on the left. Straightened up some of the val nana. Also moved the pennywort raft to the middle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store