The official 65g FOWLR diary thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
wow looks great!

here is a pic of my electric green frogspawn...with one branch a different colour, go figure?

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
hopefully this is a bigger pic?

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
Wow! Those are some amazing pics! How bad does it hurt when you get stung? Do you get welts? Sorry if I am asking dumb questions and my spelling is off. I have a cold and am drugged up a bit. :sick:

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
sry if i sound a lil silly, but since i usually am in freshwater and have no saltwater tanks i found this thread really neat and informing on what happens in a saltwater tank setup.
BTW don trim up that massive green thing u call Caulerpa. it looks soo cool, jus so long as it doesnt compete with the coral of corse!
and i love the setup, cant wait until it ages!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Beeker - I can tell you that IME the sweepers don't do any damage (surprised me, since I react violently to some stuff) but I did feel it when my froggy got mad during the move - I feel clumsy in gloves and took them off, dumb move. I have a friend who breaks out in horrible burns whenever he goes near a euphyllia (torch, frogspawn, hammer) and has to go to the doctor. Why he doesn't wear gloves is beyond me.

Lobo - glad you're enjoying the thread :) Caulerpa needs trimming and careful watching; just today I removed much of what was on the rocks, it was turning clear and looked like it was getting ready to reproduce sexually which makes a horrid mess of a tank. There's a small green patch left, it'll be insanely huge before I know it.

ADD--> I forgot to mention, the flagfin is doing wonderfully. I questioned whether or not it would be smart to add another angel to the tank, but the halfblack is such a big eater he seems to have encouraged Midas. They compete constantly, and having someone threaten to take away his pellets or mysis spurs Midas on and makes him eat more. He's getting a little paunch on him now and the HLLE is starting to recede. He likes frozen, but I recently bought some Hikari 'Marine S' pellets and he goes absolutely crazy for those :D

I also recently added two Maxi-Jet 900 powerheads so there's about 20x turnover in the tank now. The fish actually seem happier, and the corals look great especially considering all the attention they get from Bulldog the halfblack, who loves to pick at them :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Just wanted to update this thread, there have been some changes...

The tank is doing really well. There was a very short cyano bloom initially, but now the only unwanted algae is the hard green stuff on the back wall. All the fish are doing well, but unfortunately the halfblack was getting way too bossy and taking food from everyone else, not to mention bites out of their fins! I traded him in this morning and brought home a little sixline wrasse to replace him, things are SO much more relaxed in the tank tonight. He was a neat fish and I'll miss him, but he was creating chaos. With the bully out of the tank it's a pleasure to watch again :)

To catch the angel I had to tear the tank apart, but I had been thinking about redecorating anway so I didn't mind. Here are before and after shots of the tank:

Until last night:

Now:

The current population:
2 - sixspot sleeper gobies
2 - 'panda' saddleback anemonefish
1 - Potter's angel
1 - flagfin angel
1 - sixline wrasse
1 - SouthSeas devil damsel
1 - pixy hawkfish
1 - neon dottyback

~10 hermits
~20 snails

Last edited:

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I really envy your tank. All those beautiful and fun species that I would love to have, especially the hawk. It looks great, and gets better with every new post.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Thank you both :)
Dave, that's high praise! I'm really happy with the tank right now. Everything seems to be going really well other than a problem with the Potter's not eating but I think he'll come around given time. He's picking at the rocks or getting bits of food when I'm not looking, I'm sure of it - I've seen him poop a little both yesterday and today, so he's got to be eating something :D

ADD--> Dave, I just took a look at your tank specs page, both your reef and seahorse tank are great! I'd love to keep horses, we have some at work and they're great fun to watch. You know, with all those tanks to look after it really couldn't be much trouble to set up a FOWLR tank so you could get a hawk... ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store