Tragic DISASTER

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Ok, I'll stick with some fancy goldfish.

Winters don't get too cold, I live in central Texas

BTW it is my mom's pond, a 13 year old can only do so much for it...

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

real

AC Members
May 28, 2012
Greater Sacramento
Real Name
Cyrus Javan
Exact same thing happened to me! My dad was trying to top it off but ended up forgetting it and BAM all the fish dead including a sweet bluegill that was like a pet to us. I feel your loss man.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I'm so sorry for your loss and you brother's. I think comets are really well suited to ponds, especially where you are. They are bright, fast moving, and generally more hearty than fancies.

It is very kind-hearted of you to be so forgiving to your mom. I'm sure that she feels really terrible about this, too. Hopefully your brother will also be as generous.

I am thinking good thoughts for you as you decide how to rebuild this project when you feel ready to do so.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
If I remember from your previous posts, your pond is very small, too small for native fish. Since your mom doesn't like them anyway, it's a moot point, though. I think I remember you had some issues with her making poor choices with fish. Anyway, stick with goldfish for the pond. What a tragedy, I'm so sorry to hear about this.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
In a 700g pond a few koi would be just fine for years. It takes them multiple years to grow to 3'+, not just one summer.

:cheers:

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I wouldn't do koi, unless your pond is 1,000+ gallons- they really do get HUGE (3, sometimes 4 ft long), and probably shouldn't mix with orandas due to potential aggression and territorial disputes, and the orandas not being able to even get away from them, much less defend themselves. I'm sure there are people who *have* kept orandas and koi together, but, to my understanding, it really isn't a great idea to try it. More comets would be good- if you don't get winters dropping below 40 or 50 degrees, you could do fantailed goldfish in there- they don't get as big as the single tails, and would mix very nicely with orandas. Koi can be done in smaller ponds than 1,000 gallons, I am sure... but, I wouldn't get too many of them, and I wouldn't put anything slow moving like double tailed goldfish or orandas in with them. Comets should be OK with them- the fantailed varieties get bullied way too easily to handle living with koi in closer quarters, IMO.
I have a pond that is about 600 gallons and I have 5 koi in there as well as a couple jewel cichlids, some mosquito fish and comets. They are about 12" long and have been going great for two yrs. They do get large, but their growth slows after they hit 12"

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
My brother misses his red cap and lionhead orandas, I think we will stock it up with orandas, maybe a few comets

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I haope you dont have predatory birds or animals around. They will wipe out slower moving fish like Orandas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store