Will guppies be ok with dwarf gouramis, platies, other guppies, and neon tetras?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
I suppose that the fish don't like to settle down in a bare aquarium, which hinders them from getting territorial.

Last edited:

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
well..

Would it be ok to keep 2 dwarf gourami males in a 20 gallon, or definitively not!?

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
ok.

ok, I guess I won't be getting another then lol. Is there anything really similar to a gourami?

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
you shouldnt mix gourami species in a small tank like that, especially three spots and the like ( opaline, blue, gold, platinum... etc,) because some ofthem can get extremely agressive towards other male gouramis, even if they are not in the same species, and three spots and the like are also bully fish that are smaller than they are. its best to stick with the dwarf gourami and then the platies and guppies.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
:''''''( lol I want more Dwarf Gouramis, like 2. They're soo cool!

Ah man lol... Wait, did you say 20 gallon is small? I think it's big :), because I'm a beginner. So not even 2 dwarfs in a 20? jus making sure again lol.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
im telling you, it wont work. they are going to go at each other until one dies. if you want to get another, get a 10 gallon and have one in there too along with some more corys

im telling you, a 20 gallon isnt that big, and you cant do alot with it. a 90 gal. is big. or a 120 is big

Last edited:

hondamx

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
Well paradise fish kinda look like dwarf gouramis. I think you can kepp 2 of those. I'm not sure though. O ya I forgot if you can find a dwarf gourami with yellow stripes instead of blue you can get that and a male because that's a female but they're hard to find.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
k

k

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in regarding the dwarfs. I myself have 2 males and they are in a 20g tank. It is a standard 20 also. What I have noticed is if you keep the tank with enough plants and decor to keep them from "Making eye contact" they will at time be ok. I agree most of the time more then one male will not work in a small tank. They get territorial and if they don't have there own area of a tank they will get mean. If they have there own area to claim then in most cases they will leave each other alone. Now I'm not saying to go out and get another male I am only stating that it can be done with the proper tank setup, even in a smaller size tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store