Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. F

500 Watts of Metal Halide!

You'll have to be careful with that much light, your plants will be at a high growth rate and susceptible to shortages of nutrients which algae will exploit to grow. I think 2x150 watt would be plenty for your situation.
  2. F

Been away, am back, new tank pic

I haven't posted in a long while since I've been really busy with school, but maybe now I can come back here as often as I used to. For those that are new, i keep a 55 gallon planted tank with 110 watts of light and some amazonian fish. Here is my latest picture, taken today. The tank has...
  3. F

>>fishiebusiness<<

Yep, i was in Dr. Roy's seminar this semester, we only got one class on mantis shrimp, but we did get to see a lot of mantis shrimp in his lab. If you're going to put a mantis shrimp in your dorm room, make sure to put it somewhere dark. If it gets light in the morning around 6 your mantis is...
  4. F

>>fishiebusiness<<

Hey Childawg, sorry I didnt see this post for so long, its finals time and you know how that is. Here's all my pics so far: http://pages.sbcglobal.net/chyu83/mantis/ I keep mine in a 7 gallon minibow with a prizm skimmer. I did cycle my tank before i introduced the shrimp. It was cycled with...
  5. F

New Shrimp tank

I'm feeding it chunks of frozen shrimp along with the occasional live ghost shrimp, crab or snail.
  6. F

New Shrimp tank

I don't think she'll grow much bigger, they top out around 6 inches. Also my professor told me that mantis shrimps arent quite as prone to breaking open tanks as popular belief makes them out to be.
  7. F

New Shrimp tank

Whoa, that mantis is huge. Mine is only about 5 inches long. It does click at night, when excavating its burrow. It knocks pieces of rubble into place using its punches.
  8. F

Minibow 7 question

Does anybody know what the flourescent bulbs are that come with the 7 gallon minibows?
  9. F

New Shrimp tank

I finally managed to get a mantis shrimp from my LFS. I put her in a 7 gallon minibow. Here are some pics:
  10. F

My big balls

My balls were attacked by something or other and one of them has holes now.
  11. F

Plant?

the straight green plants with the otto are moneywort or Bacopa monnieri, the red lotus is Nymphae sp. maybe zenkeri.
  12. F

Please identify these plants.

Im not sure about the fisrt one, it might be a cryptocoryne species. The second one is Cabomba caroliana.
  13. F

How do you gravel vac with short groundcover plants??

Ground cover plants like glosso are pretty hard to pull up once they've grown in well. I wouldnt worry about fish pulling them up.
  14. F

Trickle Tower for nitrate removal.

Nitrates require anaerobic conditions to be biologically converted to nitrogen gas.
  15. F

The Diatom Filter - Explained.

I do think that co2 can be stripped from the water by the diatom filter. In addition to the increased curent as noted by RTR, the dissolved co2 along with other gases could be released by the cavitation caused by the powerful pump of the diatom filter. But as noted, this is a moot point since...
  16. F

Dead Coral & Seashells

What kind of fish do you plan on keeping in the 10 gallon? Coral and shells are calcium carbonate and will slowly dissolve in a tank, increasing pH. That can be desirable or undesirable depending on the fish you want.
  17. F

Paroon and Iridescent Sharks

iridescents do get 5 or 6 feet. See here (petsmart's idea of 12 inches): http://www.planetcatfish.com/ilibrary/pangasii/pangasiu/172_9.htm I've seen them this big at the Steinhardt Aquarium. Paroons get quite big as well, and are not recommended for aquariums.
  18. F

Feed me Seymour! (~1MB of photo's inside)

Nice pix. That big plant looks like an Aponogetion species, probably ulvaceous, did it come in a bulb?
  19. F

luck bamboo (dracaena)

Wow, nice office, how is the dracaena stabilized?
  20. F

Amano Shrimp

They usually have some in the first tanks in the aisle furthest tank to the left when you enter the first floor. Thats where they keep all the algae eaters like SAE's, otos, and amanos. I got 5 otos, maybe they'll have some amanos back in stock soon.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store