Benson?s 40 B Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
I was at the aquarium here in Phoenix a few weekends ago, I was showing my wife the shimmer... she fell in love with it... then when we got home she looked at the tanks and said.... now I get it!!! Yeah, they used a lot of LEDs in the smaller exhibits. So at least she understands why I want to get the LEDS. I am even toying with buying a kit from RapidLed... not too sure about my soldering skills... lol... The Par 38s would be easy to replace over time as more lights come and prices come down... plus I can keep adding them until I get the right about of light... too much to think about... LOL...

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Well, I ordered two of the Rapid LED Par38s. I will see how they work over the tank. The guy from Rapid seems to think that 4 or 5 is what I need... not sure if that is accurate or a sales pitch... I can always order two more though... no worries...

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
LOL.. 4 or 5 seems like a huge overkill. Unfortunately I have not had any hands on experience with those bulbs myself so I haven't been able to do any PAR testing, but I do use similar LEDs/Optics and get a TON of Par out of them. Right now I have 24 LEDs over my 55G and it seems pretty good, although I think 36 may be the ideal # on a 4' 55G tank.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Track lighting?

Congrats on going LED!

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Yeah, I saw that on another forum. I like what Ace did over his 55 g tank as well... I had the perfect lights stands... but they had a base that went under the tank for support, but when I place my tank on the stand and added water and rocks... guess what... the lights stands were sitting right next to the tank stand... lol... I get into a hurry sometimes... lmao...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store