Largemouth Bass...can?t unhook!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Don't get offended loachrcool, but did you know Clown loach are common cuisine in Japan? We would never think of it. Weird huh?
I've not heard that one yet lol! I have heard that wether (dojo) loaches were, but I suppose since clowns do get pretty large it makes sense.

Its only odd for us since to us they are pets. But really though, if its edible then someone is eating it somewhere...

Good Luck with Yellow Perch. I've tried to keep them, but after awhile they always die. From my online research they are just not well suited for aquarium life.
It was just a random thought, I've not researched yellow perch at all. Just was thinking of what was available locally (at least where my folks live) and was small (plenty of fish that I used to fish for that are a tad big for aquarium... lake trout, salmon, pike...) so the first thing that came to mind was sunfish (in which the pumkinseed looks pretty colorful, and then perch. Probably the smallest thing that I used to love to fish for was brook trout but I think they need much cooler waters. Used to fish them just as soon in the year as there was some openings in the ice over the streams.

brett_93_ex

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
Currently feels like a furnace
Bret 93, How'd u go about tag'n it? I'm just curious because I have a buddy with a Lrg Mouth Bass pond.
BTW, That looks nothing like any Largmouth I've ever caught. I live in Georgia though. maybe it's just a difference in area.
It was a dart type of tag. I found it at Bass Pro Shops in NC. It had a pack of 20 tags and wasn't that expensive.

The following link has an example and where to place it.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/html/FishingMonitoring/FishTagDescriptions.htm

Schneider

AC Members
Jul 26, 2009
I may be wrong but I am almost 100% positive that your fish is a smallmouth bass. As for the hook, don't bother taking it out, it will come out in a couple of days. Sounds to me by the way you described that it swallowed the hook, The angler who caught the fish did the right thing by cutting the line because if the hook were removed it would be fatal to the fish. The fishes' digestive juices will eat through the hook and it will be just like new. You could cut the line with fingernail clippers as close the hook as you can and it will alleviate most discomfort. I hope i helped, good luck!
Modern hooks usually don't rust unless they are the very cheap ones. Gullet hooked fish should have the hook removed. The line should be cut and then carefully threaded through the gill. Then the line should be tugged gently to turn the hook so if you look into the fish's mouth the bend of the hook is facing you. Sometimes the hook pops out just from turning it. If not, use longnose pliers and pull the hook out as straight as possible. Leaving a hook in a fish's throat will greatly reduce a released fish's odds of survival. If you think you damage the fish's gullet while removing the hook, you should keep it and eat it as long as it is legal.

webbie

AC Members
May 21, 2005
That is absolutely a smallmouth bass. I have 2 rock bass and they are not nearly as long and skinny and the mouth is much much smaller.

frigginchi

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Try using the largest hook possible so that they don't swallow it. I use 1/0 hooks or larger for bass. Smallest I've caught on a 1/0 is a 6 inch bass.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Fish native to your area need cooler water than your South American fish.

In the future, if you're going to be releasing the fish, try using circle hooks. They have a 99% rate of hooking through the lip instead of being swallowed. You can also use barbless hooks. I don't have experience with those but heard that they catch fish successfully.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
yup thats a rock bass. I catch them all the time in the great lakes area. From what I heard it is the easiest to keep in captivity of all the bass species because it is not a true bass. Its more of a panfish. They don't get as big as smallmouth or largemouth either.
All FW Bass are panfish in the family Centrarchidae. True Bass are in the family Serranidae which is SW.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store