My first big girl tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snow1576

AC Members
Oct 23, 2007
New York
congrats, I would definetely go with a planted discus tank.

chucke

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
York, Pa
+1 planted with apistos, rams discus and tetras.

or

My next tank will probably be a low-light moss tank, moss walls, logs, carpet etc. with rams, cards and something creepy like like a african butterfly. Saw a setup like this online once and it looked sweet. You could do that too.

I can't imagine the cost of a tank like that running as a reef and all the stuff that you would have to buy to keep the maintenance and running costs down.

120 gallon is no fun for a Reef tank or FOWLR,

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
A pair of Altums, a HUGE school of Harlequin Rasboras, Odessa barbs (smaller school), a big school of Corydoras (green, schwartz, trilineatus - whatever you can find several of), and, of course, plants. It's a tall tank, so you could do tall crypts or vals in the background, then work your way down to some glosso or chainswords in the front corners.
(got budget for a few 54W T5s or a couple of 96W bright kits and a hood and more CO2?)

I'd also be tempted to get some tiny sevrums, GTs, a JD, couple of flag fish - then watch 'em all grow out among several well rooted, large plants - vals, swords, moss on DW. That would be a really long term committment...

oO.Crim.Oo

I ♥ my fishies!
Jan 10, 2008
Randallstown, MD
Real Name
Natosha
oOo congrats!! You will have all sorts of fun with that! I'd do heavily planted with apistos, angels, and some schooling fish!

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
rachel, why don't you wait a few weeks and get it all set up the week of the 20th.. then you can stock it with 2 big oscars :)

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Nice Rach... how about sticking an electric blue Jack dempsey in there?

Q

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Nice tank! Here's a slightly different suggestion- forget about cichlids and characins, forget about heaters, and GO NORTH AMERICAN!

A few orange-spotted sunfish, crayfish, and madtoms, some big darters, and schools of red-bellied dace, rosefin shiners, and northern studfish would absolutely shine in that tank.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
A marine reef tank would be nice but if I were to do another salty tank..It would be in the 250-300g range..too many nice fish that get big..and you would be looking at a fairly hefty investment(tho I must admit the marine systems when set up are relatively maint free)

for this tank..Discus or Altum's..tho with discus you could do a school and Altums are very hard to find.

school of cards and some rams.
planted with lots of driftwood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store