RANT

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I try to only ask for help, rather than feedback or suggestions, when I simply can't find anything about the topic anywhere else. For example, I asked a question about screw-in LED light bulbs in aquariums, back when these were still rather a novelty. (By the way, this forum is great for questions about electrical issues since there are many people who work in that field on this forum!)

When a fish is sick, you can read and read and still be uncertain what to do, or if you've done the right thing. I understand the desire to post an urgent request for help, but I find it's usually much better to make as educated a guess as you can based on literature (such as: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwdistrbshtart.htm) because it is really no help at all to post something and then have people give you all sorts of conflicting advice as to how to proceed. It's quite different when you are asking "is what I did ok?" vs. "what do I do now?"

There is a wealth of information in books and reliable websites. You'll notice that it doesn't tend to disagree with each other very much either, and if it does, then err on the side of caution for the best success. If one book recommends a minimum of a 30 gallon tank for a firemouth cichlid and one recommends a 55, which do you think would be better? Also, just use your common sense, people...put a ruler against a 30 gallon tank. Does it look like a 6" fish will look right in a tank that is 30" long? ;)

Seriously Fish is one place where I trust the profiles given without question. I wish there were more websites like that, however a website like that takes a lot of resources to create and maintain, so it's not surprising that there aren't too many of them (vs. dime a dozen forums, no offense to this one).

Everyone who is old enough to write essays and term papers ought to know how to distinguish good websites from bad websites. I encourage everyone to find a reputable source of non-dynamic (aka already written) information and stick with that, rather than latch on to one forum or one particular group of posters for advice, because for one thing it doesn't help you learn to think critically to ask questions and wait for answers. I can't believe the amount of "HELP PLZ NOW!!!" sort of topics that are posted, usually with someone writing "anyone??" like half an hour later. Are you SERIOUSLY waiting [hours sometimes] for someone to tell you what kind of medicine to buy, instead of researching it yourself? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
You guys need to calm down and realize much of our hobby isn't based on exact science. A lot of what we know is based on the experiences of others, and yes, even word of mouth. It just so happens that these methods work. Also keep in mind experiences will differ from individual to individual and also across different cultures. How we keep fish here in the U.S. may be very different than how they keep fish in Asia. Who are we to really say our method is better?

Boomer23

AC Members
May 24, 2012
I try to only ask for help, rather than feedback or suggestions, when I simply can't find anything about the topic anywhere else. For example, I asked a question about screw-in LED light bulbs in aquariums, back when these were still rather a novelty. (By the way, this forum is great for questions about electrical issues since there are many people who work in that field on this forum!)

When a fish is sick, you can read and read and still be uncertain what to do, or if you've done the right thing. I understand the desire to post an urgent request for help, but I find it's usually much better to make as educated a guess as you can based on literature (such as: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwdistrbshtart.htm) because it is really no help at all to post something and then have people give you all sorts of conflicting advice as to how to proceed. It's quite different when you are asking "is what I did ok?" vs. "what do I do now?"

There is a wealth of information in books and reliable websites. You'll notice that it doesn't tend to disagree with each other very much either, and if it does, then err on the side of caution for the best success. If one book recommends a minimum of a 30 gallon tank for a firemouth cichlid and one recommends a 55, which do you think would be better? Also, just use your common sense, people...put a ruler against a 30 gallon tank. Does it look like a 6" fish will look right in a tank that is 30" long? ;)

Seriously Fish is one place where I trust the profiles given without question. I wish there were more websites like that, however a website like that takes a lot of resources to create and maintain, so it's not surprising that there aren't too many of them (vs. dime a dozen forums, no offense to this one).

Everyone who is old enough to write essays and term papers ought to know how to distinguish good websites from bad websites. I encourage everyone to find a reputable source of non-dynamic (aka already written) information and stick with that, rather than latch on to one forum or one particular group of posters for advice, because for one thing it doesn't help you learn to think critically to ask questions and wait for answers. I can't believe the amount of "HELP PLZ NOW!!!" sort of topics that are posted, usually with someone writing "anyone??" like half an hour later. Are you SERIOUSLY waiting [hours sometimes] for someone to tell you what kind of medicine to buy, instead of researching it yourself? :rolleyes:
Hahaha i love the end of ur thread, ive seen numerous people crying for help nd then 20mins later ask again "anyone" that really cracks me up lol. Like in all that time they could of googled it or picked up a book. I always google my problem first nd if i dont find a good enough answer i post it here nd hope for a better one.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
"Google" isn't always the correct answer or is too conflicting to make sense of it as others have pointed out. This site has a unique function to help you and it is called "SEARCH", it is located in the top banner bar. I realize that takes effort on your part but sometimes you need to put fort a bit of effort on your part instead of waiting to have an answer handed to you.

Yes, this is an international community and no, we aren't perfect in our answers. We may be less perfect in our attitude than you may like. Have you considered that the attitude you think you detect might be because this same question has been asked almost daily and your lack of motivation may have something to do with it? Not trying to pass the buck here.

The fact that you didn't take the time to learn anything ahead of your acquisitions and now you are in a panic is not our problem and there is no panic for us to rush out an answer. Some of us even have a life away from fish and keeps us from sitting in front of the monitor just waiting to post up an answer.

A little self-help can help us to help you better.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
My biggest rant is poor grammar and punctuation.

Your right, its sad how bad peoples grammar is these days. Their probably all loosers anyways."

Count the mistakes.. I am a grammar Nazi as well.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I realize that takes effort on your part but sometimes you need to put fort a bit of effort on your part instead of waiting to have an answer handed to you.
I agree, and I think a lot of us are guilty of this, I know I am on occasion.

But questions such as, will this tank fit in the back of my truck, completely baffle me.

It's one thing to say, my fish has a weird spot or lump, what is it? Info and pics like that aren't always the easiest to find.

But common sense questions like the one above just blow my mind.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
and then some people are just so rude and sarcastic with their advice its hard for someone to take their advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Rudeness and Sarcasm are perceived. You (anyone) might read something as rude or sarcastic, when there was no intent by the poster. I get accused of that all the time. I am very blunt in the way I post.

AaronMB

AC Members
Mar 17, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
Aaron
In my opinion, everything we do is a reflection of the self for others to see and interpret, be it driving, fish keeping, asking for--and taking or not taking--advice, or how we choose to communicate with others...

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
But questions such as, will this tank fit in the back of my truck, completely baffle me.
This ^

I know when I first joined this forum I always asked really, really obvious questions and I'm sure it annoyed a lot of people aha, but its one mistake I think quite a lot of people when they first join a forum tend to do in my opinion. Rather than investigate further into anything I would be straight on here to find my answer -sigh-.
I think quite a lot of new members post what you guys would call 'obvious' questions, but then theres a lot of conflicting data on the internet and even in books etc and at times it can definetly be hard to figure out whats right haha, so a validation from a forum member with experiance in whatever their curious about could help them. Also, I guess when you first start doing anything, its going to seem like a challenge especially if your going in blind not knowing what to do, and what might seem obvious to someone who has been driving/fish keeping or whatever for ages might not be as obvious to someone who hasn't had any experiance in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store