Tank Crash Disaster - Trying to salvage what I can

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Good to hear. I will continue daily WCs. Is 50% enough? I'll keep the salt and erythro in the QT, and the salt in the 10, as none of those guys had the long term issues that #4 did.
I added salt to both tanks, and also did a dip for #4.
Why are my best photos of sick fish??? :headshake2:
Yeah, those do look like ammo burns. Especially photo 3, on the dorsal. You can see the little rays sticking up without any webbing. Poor guy.
That ammo sure spiked fast!!!!

Never assume!! Simple test performed as you first noticed shouldve revealed the condition of water where this mishap took place. Testing q/t waterwith EM is not going to explain what might caused all this.

Last edited:

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
All five are alive, amazingly enough.
Also, still have 5 fry. I can't believe the one survived. He was tiny, and just doing barrel rolls. It was so bad, I seriously considered squishing him just to put him out of his misery, but I was so busy dealing with things, and he looked only a few minutes or hours from death, so I figured he would go on his own soon enough. Shockingly, he is all better today. I couldn't believe it. I would have laid down 100 bucks that he was a dead fish. He was just swirling around in the tank!!!
I think I'll name him Lazarus.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
All five are alive, amazingly enough.
Also, still have 5 fry. I can't believe the one survived. He was tiny, and just doing barrel rolls. It was so bad, I seriously considered squishing him just to put him out of his misery, but I was so busy dealing with things, and he looked only a few minutes or hours from death, so I figured he would go on his own soon enough. Shockingly, he is all better today. I couldn't believe it. I would have laid down 100 bucks that he was a dead fish. He was just swirling around in the tank!!!
I think I'll name him Lazarus.

Job well done! Now keep the photos and log the event for future reference.
Hopefully you dont have to look up in the future.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Never assume!! Simple test pergformed as you first noticed shouldve revealed the condition of water where this mishap took place. Testing q/t waterwith EM is not going to explain what might caused all this.
Problem was, I had to go to work. I had to call my brother FROM work to explain how to do a WC. No way I was going to further confuse the matter with him by asking him to test the water. I was more worried about him remembered dechlor and saving what I could.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Problem was, I had to go to work. I had to call my brother FROM work to explain how to do a WC. No way I was going to further confuse the matter with him by asking him to test the water. I was more worried about him remembered dechlor and saving what I could.
10-4

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Well, some of you guys are getting long-winded, IMHO.
Anyhow, 2 things you can do that will help if it is columnaris and that probably won't hurt is:
-turn down the temp to 74 (this will decrease the rate of bacterial growth)
-add extra air stones (because flexibater doesn't like greater water agitation)

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
Short and sweet

-add extra air stones (because flexibater doesn't like greater water agitation)
Internet myth. It may help the fish, but Columnaris/Flavobaterium doesn't care if there is water agitation or not. So that is false.

Last edited:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Not the first time I've been called long-winded, lol. I confess, Reframer. :)

I agree on keeping the temperature at the low end of the comfortable range for your fishies, 74 would be good if that's not too cold for the species; definitely 76 or lower. An airstone will certainly help the fish be more comfortable.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Well, I know guppies don't mind cooler water, and Ive heard down to 72 for gudgeons. I've got it around 74 right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store