Things customers told you that you knew weren't true

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
My favorite is the "regulars." The customers who come in and loiter, either talking to me and impeding whatever I was doing or talking to the customers I'm serving. I don't mind people sharing, but when they tell people things that are not true, it bothers me. I've gleefully offended them a few times.
i know exactly what you are talking about!! there was this 12 year old that rode his bike to the store and would tell me that he knew everything about fish, and then he would be like "why are you drinking dr pepper, you are working"
id be like "cuz im thirsty?..."
and then he would insist that i had a bad prostate and was drinking it for the prune juice or something.

but they really didn't bother me as much as the people that knew everything and no matter what you do to help they go home and do whatever they want and then come back with dead fish swearing to god it was my fault.

Fla_Larry

AC Members
Jan 16, 2009
Port Charlotte Fla.
these are all hilarious, the ones that really get my goat are the new users on select FISH forums that pull the most bone headed stunts just to bad mouth the LFS after they have partially learned how to cycle a tank.

like taking a plain sample of water into a LFS and ask for a water test, then cant understand why they just brushed him off, and this after admitting to being asked to leave the same store a few times, yes an experienced fish keeper of 3 months he was.
ya gotta wonder just how bad do you have to be to be asked to LEAVE a fish store.

Then there are the Wal-Mart haters and the mods there think it is all hilarious.
what where some of the really good ones

80% water changes are normal
AC doesn't do anything period
AC leaches Doc's right back into the water after a few weeks so AC is useless
using certain cycle start products means you have to use them forever because it causes different bacteria to grow which will die when you quite using it, then your tank is uncycled.
Toilet water is different from Tap water ( that was a moderator on that one )
only specially certified stores should be able to sell Puffers
only specially certified people should own puffers, and or Betta's
the list goes on, but it hurts my head to remember all them at one time

sillypony

Fish+College=BROKE
Mar 27, 2008
WNY
haha i love this thread. I hate going to the LFS at busy hours because of people like that, never mind working there.

I wish some of you worked at my LFS, I'd feel more confident going there!

fl4ian

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
...there was this 12 year old that rode his bike to the store and would be like "why are you drinking dr pepper, you are working"... and then he would insist that i had a bad prostate and was drinking it for the prune juice or something.
this is hilarious. :cry:

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i heard a customer tell the worker that his fish never die cause he has loads of chlorine in his tap water, and it keeps them healthy, no i don't want conditioner for the water,...:headshake2:

i about died,..and i suppose so did his fish,..

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
HAHAH!!!!! wow lol
i hate laughing at stuff like that that seems so dumb to me cuz a year ago that might have made perfect sense to me, i had no clue with fish....
but i still laugh lol

this one annoying girl came in and was oohing and ahhing reallly loudly and annoyingly at all the tanks, and she saw the sign for the feeder tank of goldfish: "feeders 25 cents".
she went insane. she called me over and said she had to get one, they were so cheap she couldn't not.
me: Do you even have a tank?
her: no, but it doesn't matter its only 25 cents, ill take him home to show my boy friend and we can name it and then put it down the disposal in the sink drain
me: (thinks: my god woman, what kind of sadistic b raised you) you shouldn't take the poor thing, thats terrible.

well in the end my manager made me bag the poor thing for her. i felt awful

Winged

Likes being a biology major.
Jan 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
This thread is great!

Here's some of the things I hear from my customers at Petsmart:

"I want a couple bala sharks for my 5 gallon."

"I have four angels in a 20 gallon. One of them is getting picked on, so I moved him to my other 20 that has 7 mollies. Why did my ammonia spike in that tank? What do you mean I can't keep angels in a 20 gallon? Well, I'll just bring the mollies back to free up some space. You can't take them back? Phooey, I'll just take 'em to ________ (other store) because they know me better and will let me do it."

The same person with the angels: "A 55 gallon? Aren't those harder to take care of? I can't afford one. I can find them on Craigslist for that much? I can afford that, but I'm still not going to get one because I've got no place to put it. Well, I could get rid of the two 20 gallons, then I'll have the space. Nah, I'll just keep the angels in the two 20 gallon tanks."

"I can't have 8 goldfish in my 20 gallon?"

"I want two pacus, two oscars, two plecos, two koi, two balas, and two clown loaches for my HUGE 55 gallon tank."

"I want that one!" *points to a feeder fish, all of which scatter from the finger that is coming towards them*

"Where are your goldfish bowls?"

"Where are your Nemos?"

"My tank is about this big." *showing with their hands, saying their tank is as big as three of ours, etc.* (This drives me nuts! I don't see how people can not know how big their tank is.)

"I want a redtail catfish."

"I want this fish. It gets how big? Okay, when it gets too big, I'll: move it to my big aquarium, put it in my brother's pond, sell it back to you guys, sell it to another store, etc."

"My ammonia is high? Okay, I'll take 5 neon tetras."

"You mean I'm supposed to change my water? I just top off, isn't that enough?"

"I need an algae eater so I don't have to clean my tank."

Winged

Likes being a biology major.
Jan 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
Oops, forgot a couple!

"Do you guys airbrush fish? I want to get a fish airbrushed for my son's birthday."

and

"I need 100 feeder goldfish, bagged individually."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store