Things customers told you that you knew weren't true

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

r0adk1ll88

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
This is a great thread. I could see myself making a few of the comments in here a couple of months ago. I bought a Pacu for my HUGE! 55g. He has since been adopted by a LFS and lesson learned.
:banhim:Off to by a couple of Arowana's for my 55 now :banhim:

skmmurphy

AC Members
Apr 9, 2009
Mg awesome thread! Its amazing how many people bag their LFS, some warrented some not!
I manage a large store in Australia. I have no problems spending hours with a customer if they are willing to listen, but it amazes me when they dont... come back in a weeks time and cry because they have lost there tank to there own stupidity!
There is alot of people that ongoing problems with there tanks but.. know it all! and no matter how hard you try to help it ends up being the LFS fault.
Most people that work in these stores dont claim to know all, i certinly dont but on the same token we own and manage these stores for a reason.
Before bagging your LFS remember that most of us are there to help in any way possible.
Remember we can give advice only and what you choose to do therefore after is up too you.
Lol most of us are not bad guys :)... maybe Mg hehehe

Breath..... OK I think they were refering to places like Walmart.

Winged

Likes being a biology major.
Jan 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
Don't you mean, "I can't have 8 goldfish in my 2 gallon? It's really big!" :evil_lol:
The people who try that aren't aren't the ones that come back and ask us why their fish keep dying. This guy comes in about once every two weeks, buying more goldfish. "I don't know why, but every two weeks, I lose two goldfish."

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Years ago, when I worked at a LFS, I remember a customer walking around looking at all the fish while seeming somewhat irritated. I asked her if she needed help with anything.
She said she wanted some yellow colored fish so I showed her all the yellow fish we had for sale but she didn't like any of them and pointed to a particular fish that she liked and asked if I could get those in yellow. She couldn't understand it when I said no, those fish aren't yellow...ever. It's like she thought we had a fish factory in the back of the store that could custom-make fish or something. The ignorance of people amazes me sometimes.

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
The other day a lady wanted to buy a koi. In the koi tank there was a feeder goldfish with the koi. She said "Well let me find the one that I want", then she pointed to the goldfish. The other associate said that you don't want that one because it's not a koi. She said what do mean I've been breeding koi for many years. The associate said you don't want that one because it's a feeder goldfish, not a koi. She said oh and picked out another fish.

I actually had a 10 year call me on the phone and then stopped in later to get a divider for his tank because his fish were fighting. Listening to him on the phone he sounded like a very mature young man. Very polite and he could tell me everything that was going on with his tank. I wished all my customers were like him. It's sad in one way that the most intelligent customer I had today was a 10 boy. Good thing just think how knowledgeable he will be in 10 years.

Last edited:

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
I don't work in a fish store, but I know 2 different people who would do a complete water change and replace all filter media everytime their tank started to look cloudy. They did this for years and never understood why nothing lived more than a couple of months.

On a side note: I guess since the employees of a lfs are supposed to be "professionals" in the industry, they should at least know the basics of fish keeping, which many don't.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store