Goldfish and?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
Yes of course they would, but they certainly are not being "slowly tortured to death" in your 10 gallon aquarium as some have accused.
I have to disagree... think of how you would feel if you were, say, 2 years old, and you skin stopped growing, but all of you organs and such did not.
Sounds quite painful to me, and would deffinetly decrease your life.

Chsscott,
You could buy a bigger tank, and whenever your apartment gets inspected, lower the water to 10 gallons, I've heard of many people doing this(some people here too) and it works. Whoever is inspecting can't say anything about it, because you're not doing anything wrong.

Puppy

AC Members
May 19, 2007
Bettagurl,

While its true that goldfish do not reach their full potential size in smaller aquariums, this does not mean they experience discomfort or pain due to their organs continuing to grow while the rest of their body does not, as a matter of fact that is one of the most assinine "fish-stories" that I have ever heard and I have been keeping fish for over 30 years now.

One of the main reasons why goldfish are one of the earliest (& still fairly commonly kept even today) domesticated fish is because of their ability to thrive under/in captive conditions.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i dont know where you got your information in your 30 years, or if maybe you stopped accepting new information after you started 30 years ago, but goldfish belong in a much larger aquarium and need more space. feel free to state your sources, but no credible source (and very few uncredible sources) i've encountered would even barely imply a recommendation for a tank that size.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
The reason why they are the most common is because they are considered despensable, which in of itself is a shame. The fact is 3 goldfish in a 10 gallon is not the condition meant for goldfish. They secrete a large bioload, massive amounts of hormones and outwardly stop growing, thereby stunting the fish. As stunted fish, not only wil their insides continue to grow, their outsides will become deformed. Pup, please post some actual links before you go spreading that no harm would be done to a fish if kept in such cramped quarters, your 30 years experience is simply not enough.

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I wish people in these circumstances would be nicer. Instead of flaming people, address the situation and try and find a way to correct it.
Sometimes it cannot be solved and then people do the best they can with the situation they have. Usually re- homing is the best idea if someone cannot care for an animal, but sometimes that is not possible as there is no other home.

Having tank size restrictions happens. Sometimes it's housing regulations, other times it's parents,girl/boy friends...wives/husbands or space restrictions. Telling someone with tank size restrictions to upgrade is counterproductive without also helping them with the restrictions imposed on them.

I would not recomend to just go out and buy a thirty gal to someone with housing restrictions. The only reason I setup my thirty gal is because my other tank burst and I cannot afford to buy another tank when I have one sitting in storage. They have not come through yet with me having the thirty gal setup and they may yet complain and ask me to remove it.

Puppy

AC Members
May 19, 2007
i dont know where you got your information in your 30 years, or if maybe you stopped accepting new information after you started 30 years ago, but goldfish belong in a much larger aquarium and need more space. feel free to state your sources, but no credible source (and very few uncredible sources) i've encountered would even barely imply a recommendation for a tank that size.
Much as I expected, a rude response.

First thing is first - I made no such recomindation, I mearly stated that folks keeping 3-4 goldfish in a 10 gallon aquarium wasnt exactly uncommon.

Please do not misrepresent my statements again.

Secondly - I find it increadibly pretentious of you to so easily dismiss my 30+ years of personal experience.

Silentskream, you could use a lesson or two in manners.

Puppy

AC Members
May 19, 2007
The reason why they are the most common is because they are considered despensable, which in of itself is a shame. The fact is 3 goldfish in a 10 gallon is not the condition meant for goldfish. They secrete a large bioload, massive amounts of hormones and outwardly stop growing, thereby stunting the fish. As stunted fish, not only wil their insides continue to grow, their outsides will become deformed. Pup, please post some actual links before you go spreading that no harm would be done to a fish if kept in such cramped quarters, your 30 years experience is simply not enough.
Dangerdoll.

Again I have to ask, please do not misrepresent my statements.

I never claimed that: "no harm would be done to a fish kept in cramped quarters".

What I said was: "While it is true that the goldfish would be happier, grow larger and live longer in a larger aquarium or pond, keeping 3 small goldfish in a 10 gallon aquarium is not akin to slowly torturing them to death".

As far as me citing links, well I am not the one making the outrageous claims or misrepresenting other peoples statements.

A lesson or two in manners probably wouldnt do you any harm either.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Welcome to AC, Puppy!

To make your experience here as pleasurable as possible, try to refrain from insulting moderators, long-term members, and other folks who have proven time and again, through posting and discussion, to be sensible and caring fishkeepers. As anyone with 30 years experience in ANYTHING should know. . . . just because something is "common" doesn't make it right.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Dangerdoll.

Again I have to ask, please do not misrepresent my statements.

I never claimed that: "no harm would be done to a fish kept in cramped quarters".

What I said was: "While it is true that the goldfish would be happier, grow larger and live longer in a larger aquarium or pond, keeping 3 small goldfish in a 10 gallon aquarium is not akin to slowly torturing them to death".

As far as me citing links, well I am not the one making the outrageous claims or misrepresenting other peoples statements.

A lesson or two in manners probably wouldnt do you any harm either.
I'm sorry you feel this way Pup and hope you find other threads better suit your thoughts and ideas. As far as outrageous claims and ideas, well, http://www.goldfishparadise.com/ will discuss the hormone issues and stunting, things that will ultimately kill the fish, reasons of why a 10 gallon tank is no place for goldfish.

As far as manners are concerned, I don't think I presented any bad manners, however those that hear bad news or news they are not ready to accept, often mistake the advice for bad manners and for that, I apologize. I will not apologize for my post though as I believe the info is correct. If it is found insulting, then again, I am sorry you feel that way.

The ultimate suggestion from me to the OP is that perhaps the fish should be brought back to the store and new fish that are more appropriate for a 10 gallon could perhaps be traded off for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store