220 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brody99

Registered Member
Apr 30, 2017
Hey guys and gals I have a few question and instead of making 2 or so threads just gonna ask them on one. I recently have been offered a deal to trade my compound bow for a 220 gal tank. My compound bow is about a 500$ CA . Attached will be some pics off the tank fish and heater (some are blurry so sorry). There are Peacock cichlids (breeding group) and silver dollars . I don't for sure know if I want to keep them what would be your suggestions for stalking it . I've only kept small tanks before so I'm wondering what extra work is involved with a bigger tank I know there is a lot more volume when I do water changes but what else could I expect. Finally is there anything I need to know any tip or tricks with the sump system I should know or anything to keep my fish happy and healthy in a big tank. Thanks .
---
TMA: Tue May 02 2017 20:47:55 GMT-0600 (MDT).jpg

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
what would be your suggestions for stalking it
Start is a low hidden position and remain as quiet as possible. Observe from a safe distance, don't want them to catch you! ;) Just playing.

Congrats, that's a big tank! First thought when I see a big tank is always, weight. Are you putting this on a concrete slab or have you accounted for this 2,000lb beast in some way?

Hard to see what the sump setup is so hard to give any advice, sorry.

Peacock cichlids and silver dollars have different water requirements and temperaments. Are you sure that's what they are?

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Good questions, myswtsins. I don't know any answers, never having kept such a big %ss tank.

Bowfronts are not my thing, I wear bifocals & can't focus on the curve. So any tank that isn't bowed is better to me.

Weight is definitely an issue in many (most) homes. What are the dimensions? 6ft x 2 ft x 30 or 36 inches tall? or what?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
personally I'd go with maybe 150 corydoras hastatus and 150 chili raspbora. likely bunches of neocaridina shrimp too.

but that's me... really why not stock it how you would stock a smaller tank, but just with bigger groups?

I know nothing of your tastes, but I'm really not a fan of taking someone else's fish in, and I'd rather go with my own plans from the start.

to 3rd the advice, please pay attention to the weight of the thing, it will be significant!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Bowfronts are not my thing, I wear bifocals & can't focus on the curve. So any tank that isn't bowed is better to me.
This is funny...he said he was trading his compound bow (like bow and arrow) for the 220. The 220 is not bowed. Where are your glasses? lol Honestly though I had to read it twice when I first read it too.

personally I'd go with maybe 150 corydoras hastatus and 150 chili raspbora. likely bunches of neocaridina shrimp too.
I love a big tank with big groups of schooling fish too. I'm pretty sure I would not be able to resist getting big fish though as I've never been able to have anything bigger than my 72g and I love monster fish too (primitive ones in particular). But just like you said perfectly...
I know nothing of your tastes, but I'm really not a fan of taking someone else's fish in, and I'd rather go with my own plans from the start.
I agree.

Reactions: Bunsen Honeydew

Bunsen Honeydew

AC Members
Feb 22, 2017
I really like big tanks full of small fish too. I am getting close to having 100 neons in my 92 corner tank. :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
LOL, I read bow front tank o_O I must have auto-correct glasses. I never think weapons, lol. If some says knife here I only think knifefish.

Yeah, what's your tap water like? It's much easier to keep fish that like your params than trying to get it "right" for the fish. Unless you do RO & tap mixed to what your future fish like.

Will you want plants? I always do, even if it's just java ferns & anubias.

If your pockets are deep, maybe discus? 10 adults all the same color (wilds for my choice), a big group of sterbai corys & a couple BN plecos of the same sex so you don't have to deal with a ton of babies.

I bet everyone is shocked I didn't say loaches first, lol. So I'll say it now, clown loaches! Finally, someone with a tank big enough for them & maybe 6 of 1 of the medium to big barbs. Clown barbs or mascara barbs come to mind.

If your water is high-ish pH, maybe rainbows (turquoise are pretty!) & medium size synodontus catfish?

I really love denisonii barbs (roseline sharks)! Maybe pearl gouramis & (of course, lol) loaches, maybe kubotai or a ton of sidthimunkis or...the list could go on...

Brody99

Registered Member
Apr 30, 2017
I was thinking of maybe a predator tank I've heard of people keeping arowanas whit alligator far do I have a big enough tank for 1 arowana and 2 alligator gar

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have never kept either of those "monster" fish, but don't they both live on the surface? I don't know if you have room for more than 1 of either.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I had angels, bala sharks and other small peaceful "community" fish in my old 225. it was a lot more interesting than my monsters, 12 full size red tail tinfoils, a giant gourami, giant snakehead, etc I kept all kinds of cool monsters in that tank but hte little guys were infinitely more interesting.
I kept a florida gar in there and they are very easy and don't grow to about 9ft like aligator gars will.

if its in your basement you are fine.
if its on any other floor there are some things to consider;
it has to be close to two loadbearing walls. (exterior 2x6 walls and other load bearing interior walls) Load bearing walls essentially will take the load in place of a beam and take it to the other exterior walls or column below to go down into your foundation footing.

you can have one of those telescopic columns installed below the tank, you can have strapping inbetween the joists below the tank also. you could probably figure out the bearing stress yourself (something like this: Bearing stress = Force/Area in contact)

but for piece of mind and if you ever need to sell your house you want a structural engineer to calculate and approve what modifications you will make to the house and why. Otherwise you can place it in your basement as I did.
also you can place it on a garage, they are typically supported by piles below the slab and can take a great deal of weight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store