My pleco is turning white! In need of help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sh00tiinstar

Registered Member
Apr 1, 2019
My pleco fish fins started getting white and then the top of his body and under his body. Im not sure if hes sick or what i should do . IS my fish dying?

20190401_123407.jpg

20190330_200835.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your fish looks very thin too. What, how often & how much do you feed it? How long have you had this fish?

Tell us about your tank. Size? Ammonia, nitrite & nitrate levels? Water change schedule?

Sh00tiinstar

Registered Member
Apr 1, 2019
I feed my fish twice a day. He eats brine shrimp, raw shrimp, cucumber, algae wafers, shrimp wafers, pellets. I've had him for 10 months he's always looked thin. I have Molly's, platys, gouramis, catfish, rams and its a 30 gallon tank. I do water changes every 2 weeks depending on my levels. I did a water change yesterday and all my levels are good.

ToneFizzle

Registered Member
Jan 6, 2020
I have a pair of high fin plecos that are roughly 10 months old and roughly 8-10" in length each. I have noticed over the past few months that one has changed to a yellowish color while the other has kept it's original color. They dont show any signs of differing temperaments or anything out of the ordinary. No signs of disease or illness anywhere.Tank stays 78-80°. Ph @ 7. Ammonia nitrates and nitrites all at 0. I cant help but wonder if it's a difference between a male and a female? Any ideas would be appreciated. I love these lil guys an dont want to see something dumb happen that I could have prevented. Thanks in advance. 20200106_203230.jpg

Reactions: #Crabs

#Crabs

AC Members
Nov 4, 2019
Northern, NJ
Yes when i had my pleco he would sometimes turn white or change a different color. For my pleco he would change color if he got sunburned (by the sunlight) or if the water was dirty (water needed a water change). T ToneFizzle that fish tank is beautiful how many gallons is it?

ToneFizzle

Registered Member
Jan 6, 2020
Yes when i had my pleco he would sometimes turn white or change a different color. For my pleco he would change color if he got sunburned (by the sunlight) or if the water was dirty (water needed a water change). T ToneFizzle that fish tank is beautiful how many gallons is it?
Thank you! It's a 75 gal. I bought used for $75 and refinished the stand myself. Have a marineland 360 cannister filter for it. Very low maintenance and the water is always crystal clear and on point! I'm going to redo the decorations this spring. Houses about 20 fish or so. .

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It's not a male/female thing, it can depend on mood but they might not even be the same species...
They aren't sick but the problem is they will grow to well over 20", and the bala shark to 14"... what are you going to do with them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store