New tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I'm going to guess your stunted stem plant in a hygro. angustifilia. It needs a fair amount of water column ferts & light. I've never grown it well.

Your sword...is that all you have left of it, those 2 , well, they're not rhizomes, but sort of, ahem, corms? I think it had no food it could use with maybe a bit of transplant shock. Are you using root tabs or other ferts? Swords are heavy pretty feeders...

Even java moss won't stay alive for too very long completely dried out...it's an aquatic plant! But I have had it recover from pretty dire conditions. It'll help if you can wet it or sprinkle some water on it often. Put in a jar/bowl?

The surface oil can be removed by gently laying a kitchen paper towel on it (or even newspaper) & removing it slowly. This will take several tries. How come you have oil? I don't remember, do you have fish & what are you feeding?
yes, it is hygrophila angustifolia. it used grow alright but the stem slowly became dark and melted. the trimmed parts are still there, slow but growing.

as for my sword, yes that is all that is left.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Ugh! The sword's nubs are toast, just compost those bits. I'm sorry ;( Some swords seem easier to grow than others. In general, the more pretty red(ish) they are the harder it is to keep them that way. I have a couple plain mid green Amazon (E. amazonas) that grow, well...huge. Prettier 1's without proper ferts & light (& co2 prefered) will likely look more plain. The new reddish or spotted leaf growth may look nice for a while but if it's not super happy it will fade as it grows. Most get very large!

Most hygros are fairly easy but need some feeding & better with medium light. If (when?) yours finally dies try a different stem plant. Small leaves = rotala indica, might get pinkish tops...it's ok... Giant bushy = water wisteria; similar but a fern is water sprite (grows fernlets along the leaves, even bushier but needs less ferts & lighting). I'm not a huge fan of stem plants anymore. If they're happy, they need trimming weekly; if they're not you may have naked stems with a bit of nice leaves at the top. Snip & replant the good tops...it gets old.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I really liked that plant, shame I lost it. might get another in the future.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, it's hard to say from your pic but judging by the longer pointier leaves & plain green color I'd say it may have been an Amazonas sword. Fancier 1s like Ozelot & Rubin have a more oval shape & rounded tips even when they lose their pretty colors. Did yours have any color etc when you got it?

If I didn't have bba & you lived near me I'd give you a similar 1 :)

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
last weekend I added seachem phos guard to my filter to help me with diatoms. so far i thnk it is working, I had a little growth of b.a. even after dosing flourish, however I wonder if phos guard affect fish too because mine have been acting not like the usual after i added phos guard

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I'm not sure what should i do, 2 weeks ago I added phosguard to help me with diatoms since everywhere on the internet says it does rid of it. maybe I should add more? the label does say that after 4 days or something one should check on phosphorus level (i dont have that test). I did see a decrease in diatom 1 week after adding phosguard but it was also the same week I started having my curtains closed so i cannot tell for certain which is it.

something else: I added more saggitaria and riccia last weekend, one batch of saggitaria is melting, the other ones are hanging in there. my moss which I glued to a rock last weekend is dying as well. maybe i used to much glue? i glued it where they take their nutrients and now they cannot? idk. I don't understand if i let them be they melt but if I dose flourish which i did this week then i get diatoms back.

it has been really hot this season +30°C, I know plants do better on cooler temperatures. could this be why my plants are dying? I have warm light as I showed here, maybe changing it to cool light will be better for plants?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Did you test phosphorus to know you had to do something about it?

For the most part, in freshwater aquariums, you just need to wait out brown algae, it's normally temporary. Just have plants that will grow well, have enough light to let them grow, and make sure to keep up on maintenance especially water changes.

The color temperature of the light will have little bearing, it's more about how it makes things look for you, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you don't think you have the correct amount of light.

Saggitaria isn't likely to do much for diatom algae, they will get their nutrients from their roots diatoms get there's from the water.

Riccia will help assuming it's growing well, it's likely to do the most for water quality if you let it float rather than being held down in the water (more light, more CO2, better growth)

sk8r

Registered Member
Jun 10, 2023
I am no expert in freshwater---just making the conversion---but in marine tanks, cloudy water occurring just after setup goes away once the tank becomes bacteriologically active, so that the particulate becomes 'sticky' enough to catch in filtration and heavy enough to settle.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
Last edited:

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I'm trying to lower the ph of my tank so I decided to remove the slab cave I put for my fish, which they did not use. and to provide more cover or hiding place I put a pvc tee, tomorrow I'll add another tee that i have to remove the price sticker first.

I do not think so, but does pvc affect water chemistry?

P_20230617_133028.jpg

P_20230617_133046.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store