• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shelz1209

AC Members
Feb 7, 2021
I’m on the tail end of treating my QT for Ich, and I’m noticing a lot of white, stringy poop on the bottom. I’m wondering if this is a parasite or sign of something else like fungus, bacterial infection, etc. If it is, when should I start treating for it? I want to make sure the ich is completely gone first (I’m on day 8 and the spots just disappeared off the fish two days ago) but I don’t want to risk them getting even sicker from something else. I’ve attached a photo and I’m keeping one Dwarf Gourami and one Bristlenose Pleco in the QT. Thanks for the help!

AA882170-9B1F-40D3-8EBF-FAC49A9348C2.jpeg

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
My guess is poop from the BN pleco. How is eating for you? What are you feeding and how often?

You could remove a bit of the stuff to a small container to see if it moves at all and if it does, it is a parasite.

Shelz1209

AC Members
Feb 7, 2021
My guess is poop from the BN pleco. How is eating for you? What are you feeding and how often?

You could remove a bit of the stuff to a small container to see if it moves at all and if it does, it is a parasite.
ooh that’s a good idea, I’ll do that. I feed half an algae wafer every other day and then I have some sinking fish pellets that make it down to her. Going to blanch some zucchini tonight.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm worried the poo is white. With what you feed it shouldn't be. I would think hard about an antiparasite treatment. Not sure which I'd choose, flubendazole or metronidizole (maybe combined with praziquantil) come first to my mind. I'm not sure a combo of those is recommended. Are you in the US? What ich med are you using?

Shelz1209

AC Members
Feb 7, 2021
I'm worried the poo is white. With what you feed it shouldn't be. I would think hard about an antiparasite treatment. Not sure which I'd choose, flubendazole or metronidizole (maybe combined with praziquantil) come first to my mind. I'm not sure a combo of those is recommended. Are you in the US? What ich med are you using?
Hi! Yes I’m in the US and I’ve been using Seachem’s Paraguard.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's so great you are doing a QT!! That's a major plus & will help you treat your fish once the ich is gone. Don't stop treating for that until all the spots are gone for 10-14 days. 1 thing at a time...

Parasites are not usually an emergency but it seems like you should be ready after the ich tx. Flubendazole (NOT fenbenazole) is pretty easy on fish, metro/prazi treats different parasites. Like I said, I'm not sure which I'd choose (I have expired flubendazole). Read up on those 2 treatments while you finish the ich tx & see what you find out. It's been a long time since I used flubendazole or levamisole mostly as prophylactics in wild caught loaches...

Shelz1209

AC Members
Feb 7, 2021
It's so great you are doing a QT!! That's a major plus & will help you treat your fish once the ich is gone. Don't stop treating for that until all the spots are gone for 10-14 days. 1 thing at a time...

Parasites are not usually an emergency but it seems like you should be ready after the ich tx. Flubendazole (NOT fenbenazole) is pretty easy on fish, metro/prazi treats different parasites. Like I said, I'm not sure which I'd choose (I have expired flubendazole). Read up on those 2 treatments while you finish the ich tx & see what you find out. It's been a long time since I used flubendazole or levamisole mostly as prophylactics in wild caught loaches...
Ok, I’ll look into them and keep treating Ich in the meantime. Thank you so much for your help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store