Setup for Corydoras Eques (species only)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Hum. I might have missed it but what size is your tank. It looks a bit like a 20 long (30x12x12). Nice setup. Are these cory more active than others ? I have 5 sterbai in my 29 and they are extremely shy even after 18 months (I had 6 but one had a weird fungus or skin secretion issue and after about 6 months died). I have better luck with the orange laser in the 40B with the males being less shy to external movement.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Hum. I might have missed it but what size is your tank. It looks a bit like a 20 long (30x12x12). Nice setup. Are these cory more active than others ? I have 5 sterbai in my 29 and they are extremely shy even after 18 months (I had 6 but one had a weird fungus or skin secretion issue and after about 6 months died). I have better luck with the orange laser in the 40B with the males being less shy to external movement.
20 long yes :) these guys are fairly outgoing and not so shy. Often out in the open digging or even swimming mid water.

Ive got sterbai in another tank (a 55g) and theyre still very very shy as well, I think that's fairly normal for sterbai)

Reactions: jake72

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
My tap water is ph 7.1 and tds around 120 (gh 7 kh 3). Would this be suitable or do they require blackwater. Also what temp do you keep them. Planetcatfish put the range at 72-78 but as usual it is not clear to me what they prefer. I have two tanks i keep around 76 during the winter and 79 during the summer and I'm thinking that after i move I might try adding them to one of those tank (one is a 40b that will become a 120 around 4x2.5x18) and the other is a 29 that will be moved into a 180 (4x4x18) (l,w,h ft,ft,inch) that has the 5 sterbai.
-
I have this amazing story i like to tell about pygmy cory but i find it so amusing even if it is a bit off topic. So i had a group of 10ish pygmy cory in my 40b and i had kribs in the tank for a while - while the kribs were forming a pair they bit the tail off of a couple of pygmy and killed one. But after a pair formed the kribs cleared the area in front of their chosen cave (a piece of drift wood they dug under). The pygmy learned that the area in front of this cave was always clear (it was near the front glass) so they would settle there out in the open because no other fish dared to get near. After about a week the kribs just accepted them as part of the landscape. In fact they were so acceptance they would allow their frys to mingle with the pygmy with no hostilities which i found very interesting - no other fish was allowed near their frys but the pygmys were totally accepted. [fyi the tails did regrow on those pygmy that lost them].

20 long yes :) these guys are fairly outgoing and not so shy. Often out in the open digging or even swimming mid water.

Ive got sterbai in another tank (a 55g) and theyre still very very shy as well, I think that's fairly normal for sterbai)

Reactions: Wyomingite

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
My tap water is ph 7.1 and tds around 120 (gh 7 kh 3). Would this be suitable or do they require blackwater. Also what temp do you keep them. Planetcatfish put the range at 72-78 but as usual it is not clear to me what they prefer. I have two tanks i keep around 76 during the winter and 79 during the summer and I'm thinking that after i move I might try adding them to one of those tank (one is a 40b that will become a 120 around 4x2.5x18) and the other is a 29 that will be moved into a 180 (4x4x18) (l,w,h ft,ft,inch) that has the 5 sterbai.
-
I have this amazing story i like to tell about pygmy cory but i find it so amusing even if it is a bit off topic. So i had a group of 10ish pygmy cory in my 40b and i had kribs in the tank for a while - while the kribs were forming a pair they bit the tail off of a couple of pygmy and killed one. But after a pair formed the kribs cleared the area in front of their chosen cave (a piece of drift wood they dug under). The pygmy learned that the area in front of this cave was always clear (it was near the front glass) so they would settle there out in the open because no other fish dared to get near. After about a week the kribs just accepted them as part of the landscape. In fact they were so acceptance they would allow their frys to mingle with the pygmy with no hostilities which i found very interesting - no other fish was allowed near their frys but the pygmys were totally accepted. [fyi the tails did regrow on those pygmy that lost them].
72-78F is correct, I keep mine between 74-76F because the farlow species needs warmer.
They come from Rio Solimões, which is a white water, silly river. They can handle a GH up to 268ppm and your pH is just fine. I do keep them with a little bit of tannins at least now though, just not heavy like before.

My parameters are GH 7, KH5, pH 6.4 from tap but bring it up to 7 with Seachem Neutral Regulator or else it swings dangerously due to road work a few months ago. Used to be 7.6 out of tap.

The biggest downside you will face with these guys is locating them and the price. You can expect to pay a pretty high price for them.

Pygmies are great, I keep them too :D they're so cute. And they're docile to a fault, very good tankmates as long as they're not attacked themselves. Though they can be fairly shy as well.

Reactions: jake72

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
The tank got a new look since I had to take it apart to net out the baby emperors to send them off to new homes.

I moved my boraras urophthalmoides in with them and also got some ember tetras. Going to be boosting their group to 15 each.

We also lost our twig cat, she went into hiding and became inactive, I found her deceased unfortunately.

20210427_221116.jpg20210427_221320.jpg20210427_221250.jpg20210427_211603(0).jpg20210427_211538.jpg20210426_182102.jpg20210426_204402.jpg20210426_200144.jpg20210426_181727.jpgUntitled - Sequence 01 25_1.gif

Reactions: Lalo J. and jake72

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I already had the boraras from another tank, but husband asked me to downsize, so I moved them outta their old tank to combine shrimp tanks into instead. Figured they'd go really well with ember tetras, and ember tetras at least will tie the tank back to Brazilian theme lol. But they actually are so adorable together I can't even get over how cute they are. Group together like long lost pals.
Right now it's 9 boraras urophthalmoides and 7 ember tetras. Waiting for more to come in stock to grab more.

The tank can definitely support a combined shoal of 30 of them too. Would make a nice display up top and I can just sit there and squee over their cuteness all day. If the eques breed, keep 2 for myself to bump my eques to 10 and call stock a day for this one. Hey maybe at that point I'll actually have some nitrates lol

My nitrates in this tank is 0 thanks to the plants, have to use ThriveS to boost nitrates for the plants as they get deficient in it lol

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
They're so active, I thought there were more of both :) Your tank doesn't look like you had to tear it down much to catch the tetras, good show!

I'm must be the worst fertilizer ever. I never see more than 5ppm nitrate in my "heavily fed" tank. Too many plants, light fish feeding. I do better with root tabs...& not much testing, lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store