Sum of all Fish Tranquility!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
Remember that leds are not the same as your normal light bulbs as they do not heat up filament to produce light. LED's are diodes, light emiting diodes :). Diodes restrict current flow basicly to one direction. What makes LEDs neat is that light is produced as current flows through them. Basicly LEDs are made with two types of semiconductor material. One that has some extra electrons and another that is lacking. When the electron is pushed acrossed from the donor to the recieving material a photon of light is produced. So as you can see they operate quite a bit differently than a normal incadescent bulb... and a long life is not uncommon.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Argent: Well, cause Im sleeping in the same room!

Anyway, Im going to try the miracle beam Hi lite system. Bought it from Walmart for 24.95 (great deal, when big als sells it for the same price) Petco wanted 34.95 for the same one!!! Walmart has a 90 day return policy so....

heres the clincher though. Im not into the Lazer lights, but petco wanted 45 dollars for the lazer system and I just read on the back of my 24.95 hi lite module that it accepts Lazer modules...interesting. If you want the Lazer lights, Buy the Hi lite system and save $$$. I will repost tommorrow with the results..

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
No, a long life isn't uncommon for an led light, however, based on personal experience with a little help from other exaggerated claims on the website, I think over 3 years non-stop would be a bit too much to expect from these lights. A year or so, not bad. I'm not saying the lights are bad at all, in fact, quite the opposite. I have seen them in operation, and I think they're great. Just not quite as long a life as what they say they have. (After all, that estimate is based on completely stable electricity over the entire life of the diodes, no surges, no outages. Those factors will shorten the life of any electronic device.)

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Originally posted by Anton Wernher
Remember that leds are not the same as your normal light bulbs as they do not heat up filament to produce light. LED's are diodes, light emiting diodes :). Diodes restrict current flow basicly to one direction. What makes LEDs neat is that light is produced as current flows through them. Basicly LEDs are made with two types of semiconductor material. One that has some extra electrons and another that is lacking. When the electron is pushed acrossed from the donor to the recieving material a photon of light is produced. So as you can see they operate quite a bit differently than a normal incadescent bulb... and a long life is not uncommon.
Thanks for that helpfull info!!! what do you think of these "new" devices?

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
So pinball...You mentioned earlier that the blue and the green lights are to dim and try amber.... Do you think this system will ease the craziness from the tinfoils?

Amber is orange or yellow?...sorry..forgot my art class... And would this color improve the tinfoils behavior. That would be great, but i dont want to add TOO much light for my nocturnal fish..

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Try it with what comes in the box. If it's not noticeable, go for something brighter, like the amber (the color of a turn-signal on a car). If it's too bright for you to sleep at night it won't do you any good, now will it?

Chances are that if you can live with it, your fish will be fine. The nocturnal fish don't like the amber quite as much because it's brighter, and mormyrids don't like the green for some reason, maybe their eyes are sensitive to that part of the spectrum? They won't go near into the light-path of the greens... However, one big thing to keep in mind: make sure none of the lights are pointed in such a way to where they'll shine toward your bed, or you'll wake up feeling like you've been caught in a laser-sight...

Did I mention the connector cables for those float? You'll need to bury them pretty thoroughly if you put the lights on the bottom of the tank instead of shining them down off the top....

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
The light doesnt bother me.. Its if I turned a desk light on..that would wake me up...but fish lights are fine. The only reason I ask about brightness is for the nocturnal fish. So the nocturnal fish wont like the Amber color. The elephant nose wont like the green light. Im NOT going to get the Purple color or yellow color. So I can get BLUE Leds then. I just hope adding this will improve the attitude of my tinfoils in the morning. The things we do for our pets.... I guess it will also improve the "looks" of my tank too :)

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Ok..I added the lights. one blue and one green light shining on the bubbles. Wow..tinfoils didnt like me adding them.. but i did. Turned off ALL my lights in my room (pitch black) and turned on the LED's. Got to say I like the blue one ALOT. I think I will get 2 more blue ones for my 60 gallon tank and one for my 20 gallon (there is 5 slots that you can add lights in the main compartment). The green one is ???..its ok I guess... I just cant see using a purple, yellow, or that DISCO light... Now, once my lights go off at 9pm, we will see the true actions of the fish. Also, in the morning, we will see the actions of the tinfoils.. I hope it all goes well....

Pinball..Does your mom highlight the back wall of the tank, or does it shine on something inside the tank?

Last edited:

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
LEDs have been around for quite some time... Until the end of 2001 however you could really only find infrared, red, blue, and green leds. Personally I love the things(have never used them in my fish tank however).. you should see my led flashlight collection.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
she has one shining from the top-back onto her driftwood (amber), one shining from the bottom center onto the same piece of driftwood in a different place as well as the bubble curtain (green), and one one the bottom right shining on both the bubble curtain and the big chunk of white coral in the center (blue-looks great on the white coral). The dolphin avoids the middle of the tank at night due to the green, but the overall effect is really neat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store