Sum of all Fish Tranquility!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
There is alot of push to develop LEDs into the lighting of the future for both low light and high light situations.

Recently the process to make blue LEDs has been figured out, and many are starting to work on projects.

LEDs offer quite large advantages over other forms of lights, less heat, longer life, no spectrum shift, and no heat means no wasted electricity. Almost all of the electricity used actually comes out as light.

Last edited:

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
slip thanks for the link... *thinks about starting his lighting project over*

Last edited:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
your welcome Anton- there have been pushes to use "Xenon" lighting in aquariums too, but last i heard those projects died. Dont really know why.. :confused:

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
jamison,
There have been some great advances in high output leds in the past year... You would be suprised at how much light you can get out of them now.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Maybe they are using different LED's then the Miracle Beams use.
Of course, I havent seen the tank without the light off yet..

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
In the link he says that it would take at least 680 LEDs for 4 ft. long, 2 ft deep reef aquarium.

Thats a lot of LEDs, but the fact that he got a coral to grow shows definate future possibilities.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
680 leds? sounds like to much work for a light source. I think the strip light is here to stay. They are good for nightlights though :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store