What is your best Ich treatment or Ich medication?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Ich

I has been years since I had it at home (knock on wood) , but when we had it at the store back when I worked there I had them use the method that always worked for me back in the day. Straight Formalin.

1/2 dose for the volume of water twice a day. Once at opening and once at closing. Works like a charm.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
. . .
But Rid Ich plus is helping thou, I had to turn up the heat to 86-88 and the spots are going away..

Leads me to believe you had a temperature problem.

I have used RidIch once. Will never do chemicals again. Salt and heat only. I use it on my barbs, cories, tetras, cichlids, guppies with no deaths.

watermelon

AC Members
Jan 5, 2006
Leads me to believe you had a temperature problem.

I have used RidIch once. Will never do chemicals again. Salt and heat only. I use it on my barbs, cories, tetras, cichlids, guppies with no deaths.
LOL, My barbs all died and my other fishes lived using salt...Hello???I lost $250.00 worth of fishes because of salt...I am not using salt..You can call me ignorant for not using salt and I do not care...

You preech salt and you dont even know which fishes are sensative to salt..I been keeping fishes for 12 years and yea, I know salt works and some fishes can take it..But how long have you been keeping fishes? Less than a year? Sounds like it...

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
LOL, My barbs all died and my other fishes lived using salt...Hello???I lost $250.00 worth of fishes because of salt...I am not using salt..You can call me ignorant for not using salt and I do not care...

You preech salt and you dont even know which fishes are sensative to salt..I been keeping fishes for 12 years and yea, I know salt works and some fishes can take it..But how long have you been keeping fishes? Less than a year? Sounds like it...
May I ask what barbs are you talking about? Not cherry barbs, right? ... :headshake2:

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
I find these fights about the one and only ich treatment pretty superfluous. People do have different experiences because, unfortunately, there is no one and only truth in this matter.

There are strains of ich that are heat-resistant. There are strains of ich that are resistant to some of the medications. There are fish that are very sensitive to salt, especially when already weakened by ich. Individual cases are different, and that's why experiences can differ.

I had julii cories and von Rio tetras that died like flies in the combined ich/heat/salt stress. It's easy to claim that they would have died of ich anyway, as I sometimes hear. I could save some of my fish by quickly getting rid of the salt and treating with medication. The dieing stopped immediately. As I said, your experience may vary.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Salt and heat, I dont think so...I bought those barbs at a very expensive price for one..I learned my lesson..My pocket book is more important to me..

But Rid Ich plus is helping thou, I had to turn up the heat to 86-88 and the spots are going away..
Please explain the steps you took in dosing salt. That should let us determine what was wrong with your dosage. Failing this, you cannot learn from possible mistakes in this situation.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul

Watermelon, let's keep this thread polite and smooth. Keep personal comments away from the thread please. No reason to argue just like that. excuzzzeme was only pointing out the possibility.

Everyone knows which fish is sensitive to salt. The problem here is it could be the dosage for salt is either too much or done so quickly that the fish died from osmotic shock hence I ask you to tell us the steps you took in dosing salt earlier.

May I ask what barbs are you talking about? Not cherry barbs, right? ... :headshake2:
Spanner barbs as posted in first page.

I find these fights about the one and only ich treatment pretty superfluous. People do have different experiences because, unfortunately, there is no one and only truth in this matter.

There are strains of ich that are heat-resistant. There are strains of ich that are resistant to some of the medications. There are fish that are very sensitive to salt, especially when already weakened by ich. Individual cases are different, and that's why experiences can differ.

I had julii cories and von Rio tetras that died like flies in the combined ich/heat/salt stress. It's easy to claim that they would have died of ich anyway, as I sometimes hear. I could save some of my fish by quickly getting rid of the salt and treating with medication. The dieing stopped immediately. As I said, your experience may vary.
There is another problem here. Heat and salt combo has its limits. Everything we do has its limits. Your fish lack tolerance for rising temperature levels. How high was your temperature when you treated your fish? For coldwater and subtropical fish, temperature shouldn't exceed above 80 degrees. Salt can work on its own without even heat for two weeks although it could also take a little longer seeing as ich doesn't reproduce quickly in low temperatures.

JasonR

Spy sappin' mah sentry.
Jan 19, 2008
So I noticed one of my loaches has a couple of white spots on his tail as well as a few of my tetras. The loach is flashing on my rocks so I think it is ich and want to treat it early.

What is the best way to add the salt? Should I do a water change and then add the salt while slowly raising the heat?

Can i add the salt directly to the water without a change (slowly, obviously) since I just did a water change yesterday?

JasonR

Spy sappin' mah sentry.
Jan 19, 2008
Yeah its dissolved in a bucket already, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store